Production Date?

boxboy

I just bought a '68 520 and when looking for parts I am always asked "post or pre" of a certain month in '68. How do I find out my exact production date? I can't see anywhere on the engine compartment info, and I find nothing in the door. Any clues?

Anyone have any input on the J13 and if it will be impossible to keep it running for long? Runs great now, but most parts are NLA.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Production Date" mostly effects whether it was a '68 520 or a '68 521. There aren't a whole lot of '68 520s, as the switch happened relatively early in the model year.

As for parts being NLA, what parts are those? Other than carb kits for the Nikki, I haven't found any normally-replaced parts to be impossible to find. Things like pushrods, conn rods, crankshafts, well, if you need those it'd be easier to find another longblock.

Well, I spoke to our local Datsun Guru here and told him what i had. He strongly encouraged me to buy a '69 or newer because of parts availability. I don't seem to NEED anything now. I have a set of NOS gaskets on the way to stem the hemorrhaging of oil and they were cheap. Although the aforementioned guru said that if they aren't original equipment do not use them, I have found that Beck/Arnley has complete sets for pretty cheap. Any advice on using non Datsun parts?