1985 720

Eazy_tom

Hey guys I have the chance to pick up a 1985 720 manual trans, for $500.

My dad knows the guy and has seen it, I have not had the chance to check it out yet though.

From what I have heard is, it runs ok, its ugly brown colored, the body looks semi clean.

I'll be using it as a daily driver, and occasional offroading.

So I'm probably going to pick it up but I thought I would ask a few questions first:

How long do these things run? How reliable are they?

Honestly I have no clue what motor is in it, so just generalize the answer.

Would it be hard to source a new motor for it? If so what motors can be swapped in?

Any good websites for performance parts?

Thanks in advance guys.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello!

Your truck should have the Naps Z24 engine in it, yeah they are reliable for the most part. Keep up on the tune ups tho just as any vehicle, and in the service manual for the truck you should re-torque the head bolts periodically. Most people don't, and they are known for blowing a head gasket at 100k miles i think as a result of that.

What motor do you want to put in there? Stick with the naps, or pickup a KA24 out of a Nissan pickup. the ka will bolt to your stock transmission. You will have to wire in the wire harness and computer, but there's a How to on here on how to wire up a KA to just about anything. just a few wires is all really. You would need an aftermarket fuel pump or one out of a Nissan hardbody tho to supply the correct amount of fuel, stock wont do. Could go crazy also, and throw in a small block. crap gas mileage but a lot of pickup and go.

Oh and, pictures please!

hello!

Your truck should have the Naps Z24 engine in it, yeah they are reliable for the most part. Keep up on the tune ups tho just as any vehicle, and in the service manual for the truck you should re-torque the head bolts periodically. Most people don't, and they are known for blowing a head gasket at 100k miles i think as a result of that.

What motor do you want to put in there? Stick with the naps, or pickup a KA24 out of a Nissan pickup. the ka will bolt to your stock transmission. You will have to wire in the wire harness and computer, but there's a How to on here on how to wire up a KA to just about anything. just a few wires is all really. You would need an aftermarket fuel pump or one out of a Nissan hardbody tho to supply the correct amount of fuel, stock wont do. Could go crazy also, and throw in a small block. crap gas mileage but a lot of pickup and go.

Oh and, pictures please!

Glad to hear they're reliable and thanks for clearing up the engine confusion.

I'm not planning on doing a motor swap unless it really needs it, no particular motor is in mind I'm just curious as to what will fit.

I am somewhat glad to hear that the newer motor will swap in, seems like it would be a lot easier to source parts for, but like I said only if it really needs it.

Not really big into the chevy motor swaps, my dad on the other hand...

yep, thats all correct, good truck, not real fast, but a good DD lots of torque to go off road.

just don't put too tall a tire on it. and later you can always drop a 620 body on :cool:

Sounds good, thanks man.

Not to worried about speed, I'll be picking up a car sooner or later for some fun on road stuff.

Looking for a truck to carry things and have a little fun at some trials.