Tie Rods

patd

Ok, I got the oil pan back on after cleaning the inside. I could not get the drag bar tie rods out, So I just unscrewed the rod from the tie rod ends, I screwed up the threads on the tie rods bad enough trying to get them out that the nuts will not tighten up, I figured if the tie rods won't come out with me beating on them they wont come out if I am driving it. Of course after putting the rod back in the alignment was way off. and I could not get the cross member back on, So being fed up with it I just drove it to the Goodyear tire store and had them align it, The mechanic was nice enough to put the cross member on for me for nothing. The desk guy called me back to the truck while it was still in the air and pointed out that the tie rods were pretty worn and that the steering would still be a little loose and that I should replace them, also how dangerous the drag link was with the stripped nuts, ya ya ya, I know,... I found a new drag link on ebay and bought it. (waiting for it to show up) So my question is: are the tie rod on each wheel the same? they look the same. or are they left and right? :unsure:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tie rods are left and right units, differently threaded. Nissan calls them "side rod".

You can buy them just about anywhere NAPA, Kragen/Grand, RockAuto.com, and of course from Nissan.

If you need a new drag link, that's a little more iffy but not too hard to find. Nissan calls it the "cross rod".

Oh I see you have a 1971 pickup. I was thinking of the 620.

The 521 cross-rod has sockets that screw in, and the side rods are non-adjustable. The cross rod sockets are left and right threaded. By "tie-rods" the mechanic probably meant the inside pieces that screw in, not the outside pieces where most tie rods are.

48570-20500 ASSY-SOCKET CROSS ROD RH

48580-20500 ASSY-SOCKET CROSS ROD LH

About $40 each from Nissan

About $20 each from RockAuto.com

Also Kragen has them $21 for online orders.

To get the tie rods out, use a pickle fork. It's the easiest way.

Thanks for the info, I went on the Kragen online site just now, The right hand side tie rod looks like both the left and right hand side tie rods on my truck, with no adjustment what so ever, just put them on, Kragens left hand side tie rod has a threaded adjustment for the tie rod length, So I am wondering if I should just get two right hand side tie rods and just use the drag link to align the wheels. :confused:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MOO0/ES2339A.oap?year=1971&make=Nissan&model=521%2BPickup&vi=1212321&pt=03447&ppt=C0203

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/TRW0/ES2340A.oap?year=1971&make=Nissan&model=521%2BPickup&vi=1212321&pt=03447&ppt=C0203

Oh I see you have a 1971 pickup. I was thinking of the 620.

The 521 cross-rod has sockets that screw in, and the side rods are non-adjustable. The cross rod sockets are left and right threaded. By "tie-rods" the mechanic probably meant the inside pieces that screw in, not the outside pieces where most tie rods are.

48570-20500 ASSY-SOCKET CROSS ROD RH

48580-20500 ASSY-SOCKET CROSS ROD LH

About $40 each from Nissan

About $20 each from RockAuto.com

Also Kragen has them $21 for online orders.

To get the tie rods out, use a pickle fork. It's the easiest way.

I was just writing a response to your first answer, when I posted it I saw this answer, Thanks

The ones Kragen (or Moog) calls tie-rods are the ones Nissan calls 'cross-rod sockets'.

The ones that fit on the outside closest to the wheel (non-adustable with two ball socket ends) Nissan calls 'side rods'. Doesn't really matter, just go by the photos and buy the ones that are worn out on your truck.

I think you can now order online and pick-up at Kragens. When Oreillys bought them out last year they stopped doing that, but I guess they changed their mind. It saves on Shipping costs.

The ones Kragen (or Moog) calls tie-rods are the ones Nissan calls 'cross-rod sockets'.

The ones that fit on the outside closest to the wheel (non-adustable with two ball socket ends) Nissan calls 'side rods'. Doesn't really matter, just go by the photos and buy the ones that are worn out on your truck.

I think you can now order online and pick-up at Kragens. When Oreillys bought them out last year they stopped doing that, but I guess they changed their mind. It saves on Shipping costs.

Thanks For the Help