'74 620 4x4 steering issues.

dimedriver

My 620 4x4 seems to have had or developed a problem with the the steering.

The tie rod that connects to the steering box arm has a tear in it.

dsc_9331.jpg

That tie rod end which is welded to its rod has a funny J shape to it to clear the oil pan. the front springs also seem like the are shot. There is less than an inch of space between the axle and the bump stops.

dsc_9339.jpg

I also do not like the why the springs are mounted.

dsc_9346.jpg

dsc_9347.jpg

The springs also seem very slim when compared to the rear springs.

When I fix this I want to do it right. I want no interference issues and if possible power steering. The engine needs a rebuild and I would like to go threw the front axle/steering at the same time.

My ultimate goal for this truck is a "high altitude mountain assault truck". I would like to use it to drive to approach trails for mountains I am going to climb.

Whites peak in California is a good example. You can drive nearly to the top some parts of the year and its 14,252 feet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Mountain_Peak

I plan on putting in a turbo KA (small turbo), and upgrading the axles and dive line to suit. Most likely a Dana 35 up front and a 44 out back. With either a built up TX-12A transfer case or an atlas.

I like those transfer cases because they can be married to the transmission. This will happen over a four year period and I would like to keep the truck on the road if possible.

It has an L18 with a peanut head on it right now. I have an L20 short block waiting for it when I do the rebuild/replacement. Im gathering parts to fuel inject this L series but the going has been slow on the Z24i distributor(from a 86.5-90 D20). I want to maintain this drive train until I get a hold of the new axles a friend of a friend may be upgrading in a year or so. I need to find a combo of parts to fix up the steering and possible still be ready for the KA in the future.

Thanks,

-Dime

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess better questions to ask are:

Is there a "drop" pitman arm that will fit the stock steering box?

Is there a bolt steering box with power assist. Maybe a 720 steering box?

or Is there a way to reverse the movement of the box and then turn around the arm so it points to the front instead of the rear?

How may splines are on the steering box output shaft? Whats its tapper and its dia?

If I can get a drop pitman arm and power steering I think almost every thing else will fall in place.

With A drop arm I could replace the tie rod and drag link with a normal kit from some 4x4 place. Then upgrade it later when I get a different axle.

-Dime