Where did they all go?

Iowa Mark

I got out of the Navy in 1975 and needed something to drive. I was in one of the many small towns that litter Iowa and spotted a nice green Datsun 620 in the only Datsun dealership in 100 miles. The bank said sure, and I was the proud owner of a 1976 long box. I was one of many Datsun drivers that shared the road with many more Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and the occasional IH pick-ups. After lots of miles and many adventures, I sold that truck and tried out other makes. I owned another Datsun Pick-up in the 80's, but again left for the usual other vehicles. When I started making out a list of the things I was going to need for this newest Datsun, bought a few weeks ago for almost pocket change, I had no idea that finding parts was going to be such a problem. I have been to almost every junk yard in a 50 mile radius and have not found a single Datsun pick-up. To add to the insult, there was only one Datsun of any kind in all of them. One lonely 280z with more rust than dents ( and there were lots of dents). The dealer that once was in the small town closed it's doors years ago and in it's place is a used furniture store. A call to the nearest Nisson dealer ,100 miles one way, was a waste of time. Well, I can at least still buy some of the parts new at the auto parts store. "We can order those brake shoes for 'ya. A week to ten days if we order them with our regular order." That was three weeks ago and with Christmas so close they are telling me 'after' will be a better possibillity. Talking to several people around here, I believe mine is the only Datsun for miles. And everyone comes to the same conclusion when they get done searching their mind for a stray they've seen parked out behind a barn somewhere, Where did they all go? So, it looks like this quick fix-up and drive it truck has turned into a treasure hunt. I guess that's not all bad. How much trouble can I get into, anyway? :blink: I believe I said that very same thing years ago about a fourth bottle of Mad-Dog one evening.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic