Truck stuttering on start up. Weber 32/36

Joecar

Hello so after having my Weber installed it runs pretty decent, sometimes in the mornings it stutters for a while then when I drive it’s fine. Truck did come from California and now it’s in Ohio so not sure if elevations changed for carb

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the choke and fast idle set correctly? When the motor is cold (and off), pushing the gas pedal down once should reset the choke plate so that it is almost fully closed and move the fast idle cam into position. If those things aren't happening the motor will run poorly until it comes up to temp or you give it a lot of throttle

• Like 1

Check for vacuum leaks at the carb base, throttle shaft, and all hoses and connection points. The rubber can look fine but may have deteriorated to the point where it's letting air into the system. Also check your compression, I was chasing a similar condition (poor running on cold mornings until the truck came to temp) and eventually figured out a broken ring was causing the issue

I installed this carb on my truck a few months ago. It also was a bit finicky starting and idling. I drove it for about a month then finally got around to setting the idle mixture and high speed idle. The idle mixture screw was open much more than the recommended starting point. I set the idle mixture screw per the instructions. My high speed idle was sitting at about 1000 rpm. This required me to give a bit of extra throttle until the truck warmed up. I moved it slightly above 2000 rpm. This gave me a high enough idle that with the choke plate closed, the engine would run without having to add throttle. With these two changes, the engine now starts easily after one firm push of the throttle to close the choke plate, and it idles well without fear of stalling. As a side benefit, the dieseling I was occasionally getting when I shut off the engine went away.