Cold start problem, need help/advice

dgi

I just picked up a 1975 280Z.(L28)  My first EFI Datsun ever and I am not knowledgeable at all on EFI,

PO said it was hard to keep running when starting cold.  It had been started when I got there so it cranked easily for a test drive, but it idles roughly and seems to be running rich.  The car drove well so I bought it and drove it about 70 miles home without issue.

Sure enough it is tough to get it started when cold.  

Here is the symptom:

Cranks instantly and then sputters and dies.  Hit the starter again and it fires right up and then dies again.  This has to be repeated numerous times until it decides to run.

Here are my clues so far.

It seems like the Cold Start Valve is not staying active on ignition circuit, but works as it should with the starter circuit.

I also located this picture online.  

The Temperature Control Switch (nearest the distrubutor) doesn't have any wires coming off of it at all.  It appears they have been broken off.  I was able to find a picture online and it appears this switch should have to wires coming off of it.   I suspect that this switch should keep the Cold Start Valve active until the water temperature rises acting like a choke on a carb system.  (Added later:  I'm wrong.  This sensor controls the which ignition pickup sensor in the distributor is used, retarding the timing when cold.  Being disconnected is not a bad thing I am told.  The sensor I need to be concerned with is not visible in this picture.)

I found a two wire sub-harness pulled back and wrapped around the rest of the harness.  It has two wires, one black and one appears brown, with female bullet style connectors.   Could this sub-harness be what should be connected to the Temperature Control Switch?

Also, on my car the plastic piece pointed to by the arrow is missing.  This looks like it should have a vacumm line attached.  I haven't found a unattached vacumm line anywhere.  Don't know if this matters or could be part of the problem.IMG_2105.jpg

Am I on the right path?

Thanks for your help.  Be gentle with me please as this is my first ever attempt working on any EFI engine.  Talk about in over your head!

dgi

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic