L28e woes

Interrobang

Hey all. Having some issues with my baby. Last week, while driving it to a garage to swap out the brake lines/bleed the system it died in traffic and wouldn't restart. I was able to check that it had fuel (disconnected line at filter, ran into a bottle) and spark on all cylinders (I keep an old plug with me for this). Towed it home (AAA = awesome), and it started, but now it barely runs. Stumbles and appears to run rich (black smoke). I can limp it around, but it isn't streetable.

What I've done so far:

• full electrical tune up - new NGK plugs, Bosch cap and rotor, and a new coil. Runs stronger, but still crappy and undrivable.
  • check injector connections - all cleaned and re installed to no avail. Runs the same with or without cold start injector (is this a clue?)
  • swapped ECU with my spare - no change, swapped back.
  • disconnected AFM (I heard this was the easiest way to test the afm) - car ran better for <10seconds, but died and wouldn't restart until the AFM was plugged back in.

Upcoming:

• Bench test AFM
  • Replace temperature sensor - heard that when this fails, it causes the engine to run really rich. Should arrive in the mail soon, Amazon stocks it believe it or not.

I get a good strong spark in every cylinder, which leads me to believe that the problem is NOT in the ignition system (but I might be wrong). Haven't checked reluctor gap yet because of this.

Anyone on here ever experience and resolve similar issues? I suspect that the problem lies with AFM or temp sensor, but just in case it isn't I'm looking for ideas on where to check next, or at least affirmation that I'm on the right path.

TL,DR - Engine has spark and fuel, runs like crap. ECU good. What might cause this otherwise?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic