L16 head id ?????

Guest kamakazi620

Guest kamakazi620

Well I have a L16,and it HAULS!!!!! it has a A87 head i suspect its a SSS motor ?? is where is the 219 stamp on this head i've looked about every where and can't find Shit!!! the motor is super grimmey as well.ANY help or even some smart ass remarks ARE appriciated!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the a87 and 219 are 2 different heads. general discussion freq asked q's sticky used to have the jason grey info link but i dont see it. fella's?? 1/4 way down on that page has some info.

Phatdave says:

A87 open or closed

Found on many L-18 and L-20B's. The "domestic" version usually came with open chambers. Many of the "used Japanese import" engines came with the

peanut version of this head. Large quantities of these used engines were imported in the 80's, so the peanut version is fairly common. These heads usually have 1.25" intake ports and square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves. Exhaust valves can be 1.38" or 1.30"

W53 closed

(with some exceptions) This head is from the Japanese market. Some of these castings are for factory fuel injected engines and have notches in the intake ports to accommodate injectors. 1.25" intake ports and square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves and 1.38" exhaust valves.

219 closed

The true SSS head from imported used engines or ordered from the Datsun comp. catalog. Later versions could be ordered from the catalog with a V912 casting. 1.50" intake ports, square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves and 1.38" exhaust. These are hard to find. Any of the other closed chamber heads can be "converted' to this design by simply opening up the intake port to 1.50" (if that's desired) Some of these heads are marked "A87" on the side, but have "219" cast at the front of the head, just below the timing chain inspection plate.

okay maybe they are the same.

Guest kamakazi620

the a87 and 219 are 2 different heads. general discussion freq asked q's sticky used to have the jason grey info link but i dont see it. fella's?? 1/4 way down on that page has some info.

Phatdave says:

A87 open or closed

Found on many L-18 and L-20B's. The "domestic" version usually came with open chambers. Many of the "used Japanese import" engines came with the

peanut version of this head. Large quantities of these used engines were imported in the 80's, so the peanut version is fairly common. These heads usually have 1.25" intake ports and square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves. Exhaust valves can be 1.38" or 1.30"

W53 closed

(with some exceptions) This head is from the Japanese market. Some of these castings are for factory fuel injected engines and have notches in the intake ports to accommodate injectors. 1.25" intake ports and square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves and 1.38" exhaust valves.

219 closed

The true SSS head from imported used engines or ordered from the Datsun comp. catalog. Later versions could be ordered from the catalog with a V912 casting. 1.50" intake ports, square exhaust ports. 1.65" intake valves and 1.38" exhaust. These are hard to find. Any of the other closed chamber heads can be "converted' to this design by simply opening up the intake port to 1.50" (if that's desired) Some of these heads are marked "A87" on the side, but have "219" cast at the front of the head, just below the timing chain inspection plate.

Some of these heads are marked "A87" on the side, but have "219" cast at the front of the head, just below the timing chain inspection plate.And I think I have 1 of these!!!! cuz ma L16 HAULS ASS!!!!!

• Like 1
Guest kamakazi620

i cant wait to put mine together. that first pic is mine. what carb do you have on it?

jUST A 32/36 WEBER!! I want SU's for it!! the weber seems to lean at high RPM's and only passed 85-90 mph