WTB - Datsun 510, East Coast Guy needs West Coast Help

Hey, guys my name is Karl and I'm stuck on the east coast. I am trying to buy a nice rust free Datsun 510 from CA and have it shipped back east. It hasn't been going too well, nobody really wants to deal with the whole out of state thing. I don't blame them I'd be skeptical too. Anyway I am looking for a nice rust free 2dr 510 (Who isn't though right ). It would be nice if its drivable, because its easier for shipping purposes. My budget is about $4000 plus shipping costs, cheaper the better though. My plan is to put a ka24de in it (I go a 1997 ka for free from someone doing an SR swap , oh and a free turbo from my friend in AZ), so the motor doesn't have to be great. Also if anyone knows this guy and wants to deal with him in person for me(I know it's a lot to ask, but today is my Birthday)

http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/1186093108.html

. He said he only wanted to deal local, which I can respect. Anyway, if you are still reading thanks. I can't wait to post in 1600 forums when I finally get one.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, guys my name is Karl and I'm stuck on the east coast. I am trying to buy a nice rust free Datsun 510 from CA and have it shipped back east. It hasn't been going too well, nobody really wants to deal with the whole out of state thing. I don't blame them I'd be skeptical too. Anyway I am looking for a nice rust free 2dr 510 (Who isn't though right ). It would be nice if its drivable, because its easier for shipping purposes. My budget is about $4000 plus shipping costs, cheaper the better though. My plan is to put a ka24de in it (I go a 1997 ka for free from someone doing an SR swap , oh and a free turbo from my friend in AZ), so the motor doesn't have to be great. Also if anyone knows this guy and wants to deal with him in person for me(I know it's a lot to ask, but today is my Birthday)
http://stockton.craigslist.org/cto/1186093108.html

. He said he only wanted to deal local, which I can respect. Anyway, if you are still reading thanks. I can't wait to post in 1600 forums when I finally get one.

If you will consider a 4 door, here is one on the east coast that should make you happy.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=12287

That is the cleanest 510 I have seen. I kinda have my heart set on a 2 door though. Thanks though, I really do appreciate any help.

No Problem.

If you want to buy a west coast car, (I have bought 3) you need to make it easy for the seller. Once you find one you are interested in, and have viewed all the pictures, etc., ask someone on the forum to go and see it for you. Have them report back to you on the condition and have them take good pictures for you. Offer to pay them for their time ($50-$100) depending on how far it is and how much time it takes. It will be money well spent. (don't pick a noobie, make sure it is someone that knows Datsuns.)

Once you have decided you want to proceed with the purchase, call the seller and negotiate the best price you can. Once you both agree, send a deposit via paypal or western union to show you are serious. Then go to a national Bank like Bank of America and buy a Casher's check made out to the seller. Then overnight it to the seller along with a prepaid overnight envelope so he can send you the title and bill of sale. Once he receives the check, he can go to any Bank of America and cash it with proper ID. After the check clears, arrange for a transport company to go and pick it up for you. I have used ezautomovers.com several times with great success. It will run about $900-$1200 depending on where it is located. Call EZ first to get a quote so you won;t be surprised. Any seller should be willing to accomdate you as I have laid this out. If they won't move on to the next car. This is not too much to ask of a seller in this economy.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the advice qwik510. I have shipped a car across the country before. I lived in AZ for almost 6 years and had my old car shipped out there.

I have also tried to be very accommodating to the sellers I have talked to. I have even mentioned using paypal and withdrawing the funds directly from my account instead of backing it by my credit/debit card (That saves the seller a 5% paypal surcharge).

Also, I would be more than willing to pay a member to check out a car for me.

It has been a common response that the seller does not want to be bothered by dealing with an out of state sale. I understand, there are more than enough people that love 510s in California to not have to worry about a guy in Delaware. Everybody has been really nice about it though. I hope I don't come off bitter, anyone that owns a 510 has to be a good guy.

Anyway, I appreciate the warm welcome and like the fact that no one has mentioned that for my first post I am in the classifieds asking for help. It says a lot about the members of this site.

As far as getting a car goes I'm not too worried, the longer I wait the more I can spend on a nice 510.

Also, thanks for the Birthday Wishes, its been a good day so far.

Edited by pipedreams

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.