got a carb question for fitting roadster carbs on my 510

hello.

new to the forum noticed all the great advice everyone gives and recieves

i recently bought a 1971 four door 510, stock l16 motor, and found a 69 2000 roadster rotting away in a junk yard, good amount of parts if anyones looking... anyways i was curious if the dual su carbs on those roadsters will fit on my 510 after a rebuild or what would be needed to make it work

it also has a sunline racing header if that would fit or anyone is looking, mainly i just want a dual carb setup for mine and was curious as to if they would fit right on or even work before i make the purchase.....

thanks for the help

tyler

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need a single container brake master cylinder if you want to put any kind of air cleaner on the rear SU.

If the roadster SU's are similar size (dimension wise, not throttle bore) to standard 510 SU's, then they will fit fine with the standard brake master cylinder. No need to switch to the single reservoir one.

The thing that you would need to find is a manifold for the l-series that accepts the 4 bolt roadster SU's. They are out there but a little hard to find.

You will need a single container brake master cylinder if you want to put any kind of air cleaner on the rear SU. NISMO catalogues listed this and parts needed to add SUs to the 510.

It will clear without using single MC and just 1 or 2 inch tall K&N Filter.

orange-crush054.jpg

Different story if you use the OE SU filter housing, that will hit the dual MC.

thanks for all the advice. i have heard lots of different things haha anyone for sure if the sss manifold will work:confused: if not i guess i will find out the bores didnt know if anyone could save me some searchin :D

and also i messed up the name of that header, it is a rising sun racing header i guess they specialize in datsun roadster stuff i will try and get some pics up this week...

thanks again for the help

The 2000 roadster used 46mm SU's, which, according to the Ztherapy folks, will be serious overkill on a stock L16/L18 motor without headwork/porting/etc. Yeah, they'll work, but you'll experience a boggy low-end.

Unless you really want/need that top-end, the 38mm SU's (from 1600 roadster or SSS L's) are a better choice.

ppeters: yea i just was wonderin how hard it would be i dont really need a head. the roadster seems to be the only other datsun in iowa driving or in a junkyard haha so i was seeing what it would take. so the 2000 su's are four bolt right? and in my case a 1600 would have been the ideal find then.... so what would the advantages be from using that head?

anotherjoe:too bad i didnt find a 1600, but thanks for the manifold hookup!

67411sss:haha thanks but i dont need a head, just wantin some carbs :)

Edited by beat-up-bluebird71

I thought that the 1600 roadster and the 510 SSS carbs are different?

the SSS are mirror of each other front to back and the 1600 roadster are

the same front to back. and isn't the butterfly reverse on the roadster compared to the 510 SSS? I know that visually they are different.

I think it is explained on the ZTherapy video they give you when you buy parts or casrbs from them. It's a VHS tape.

seems there's a couple of SU threads going right now....I think it was one of the others I said I'd post pics in.......but I'm here....

You can see the angle of the fuel bowl in the first pic. these are L series...big SU's. You can see what Damon is talking about with the mirror image stuff. The last pic is of the small carbs on a roadster eng.....they are the same...not mirrored...the linkage is the indication.

100_2372.jpg

100_2373.jpg

100_2374.jpg

100_2375.jpg

100_2426.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I think most of those pictures are Datsun Hitachi carbs rather than SUs.

Yes, there are two Hitachi sidedraft sizes:

46mm: fitted to Z-cars (L-series sixes) and the 2000 Roadster

38mm (1.5 inch): fitted to the L16 engines, and almost all other Twin-carb Datsuns except above

Yes, you want the 38 mm for four cylinder L-series engines

Yes, among 38s there are differences in right/left pairs and right/right pairs, mainly the linkage varies between these setups. Also the L-series and A-series carb looks the same but the linkage again is different. And geninue SUs carbs (from european cars) use different linkages. But they will fit the same manifold if you can figure out the linkage opportunity. The newer manifolds (1976-up?) are 38mm four-bolts, and will take a 2-bolt or 4-bolt carb.

There is some encyclopedia information here: Hitachi Twin Carb. See section 'Variations'

Thought I would add these carbs love Marvel Mystery Oil in there damper pods.

And it smells nice, any extra giving to them when filling the older engines love so don't worry about over doing it, they seek there own level:)

Keep a old pump type oil can on your bench just for your MM:D

Peace WRAT (If you like you can call me that ol' bastard on the eastcoast)

OLD SCHOOL TIL I DROP