What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have been saving up (and wheeling and dealing) and plan on picking up a tailgate for my '78. This isn't just any old tailgate. It's believed to be a '75.............. put in storage in '78 and stayed there ever since. When I downloaded the pictures of it I accidentally set it on my computer as the desktop background. I thought is was a sign!! Anyway the owner wanted too much and put it up for sale and I was bummed. Plus It was staring me in the face now all the time!! Anyway she called me a few weeks later and wanted it to go to a good home and for a reasonable price. So... maybe it truly was a sign. Here's a picture of it:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DSC00138Large.jpg[/img]"]DSC00138Large.jpghttp://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/DSC001362Large.jpg[/img]"]DSC001362Large.jpg

Damn, I look at that and I want to touch myself. I get so wet!!!

Edited by datzenmike
Do not use self etching primer i repeat do not use self etch use epoxy primer ..........dp by ppg or transtar dupont prime and seal...............self etch requires a primer before you use high build urethane.....self etch will cause delamination if you go straight over it. no matter what brand , name brand or aftermarket. slef etch is a waste it requires a very strict procedure after it. plus epoxy is so much friendlier to use with the filler over it or other primers. 20 years oin the business tell me so. Im only 32 so thats a long time of spraying and selling. not trying to big time just trying to save money and time.......

At the body shop I worked at we used the etching primer on bare metal areas only, not the whole surface. Plus DuPont gives a lifetime warranty with their product.

I guess when it comes to paint there are a million ways to do it right or wrong, this was my experience I had shortly in the field. I do plan on using that technique to paint my truck when the time comes, if ever..

Plus I think the primer needs a full 24 hrs. to cure before you put on a color coat or something like that.

Like he said he isn't going that route anyway, looks like he is going to clear the bare metal, freakin cool, good luck with that. I wish my 521 was that straight and solid. He might want to look into an adheasion promoter.

Today, well this past week I have been moving wires around and welding up holes in my firewall. I just started making some kick panel speaker enclosures. I put a cd player in my my glovebox, made a wiring harness, now all I have to do is cover and glass the enclosures I made. should be sweet. I took my driveshaft to a machine shop to have it lined up (long story, I used a mustang driveshaft, with a lexus transmission adapter I had made), I should be getting it back next week.

be careful what you read about warrantys with relation to paint co. they are worse then insurance policies.... most state you have to use a 110% there porduct from the reducers down to the lacquer thinner you use to clean your gun or the will just pull out form under you. to me it was more a ploy to get you to buy there porducts. failures in the painting process usually come from bad adhesion due to lack of prep, contamination from dirty air, and mixing ratios being abused. when it comes to painting keeping it simple and using products that perform and your comfortable with are the keys. as for that bad ass bare medal 521, yeah im jealous and for adhesion promotoer go to any paint supply store like wesco a/b supply and look for a product called bull dog adhesion promotor...tall can purplish in color. it will work the best for what your trying to accomplish but you have to be careful its water thin and clear so its easy to put to much on and run it. and since its clear you wont see the run till the clear or later. any way you spray it straight one very light coat , its water thin, let it flash 20minutes @70 or close to it. second mildly heavier coat let flash and your ready to clear. its got a little reddish tint but once the clear is applied you dont see it. make sure you wax and grease the crap out of the bare metal before you start anything followed by a clean tack rag right before you start. should turn out nice use any automotive grade clear i would use an aftermarket since they are cheaper and perform just as well. plus you probably not going to keep it like this forever i would assume. Bare metal has wierd long term effects when cleared but you wont see any for a couple of years or more. any how good luck and feel free to pm if any questions arise with anything paint related from gun set up to technique. thanks jon

Rule one never paint below 55 degrees it wont dry and if it does it wont last. and thats metal temp not ambient gotta warm up a garage for a couple ours to get metal temps up to ambient air.

thanx jrock and datsupra. i will take your advice. Jrock, are you in washington state?

today will be taking some talstrip to the nooks and crannys of the door jamb. then just your basic paint removal. i scored a nice metal 520 dash and dash top. i'm excited to get working on that, but its going to be awhile.

thanx jrock and datsupra. i will take your advice. Jrock, are you in washington state?

today will be taking some talstrip to the nooks and crannys of the door jamb. then just your basic paint removal. i scored a nice metal 520 dash and dash top. i'm excited to get working on that, but its going to be awhile.

Yes olympia, becareful withthe talstrip where the thick rubber gloves. its like a vegas hooker if you get that stuff on you!:eek:

If anybody ever wants anything sandbalsted i got the set up down here to do sheet metal. i stay off larger flat surfaces(ie...roof, door skins bed sides or hoods) but lately been gettin alot of stuff people have me blast the jambs and inside and the edges so they can just D.A. or zoom pad the rest of the flat surfaces. Do alot of street rod bodies, race car bodies. it jus t saves people alot of time of stripping those nooks and crannys you refer to. we use garnet sand and walnut sheels mixed to provide a better substrate for powder coating or paint lus it creates less heat which cuts down on warping allowing me to balst more sheet metal.

Hey guys! Glad to be back after computer was down for a week! Anyway, I have been busy with the Datsun. The past week I have installed a new L20 EI dizzy on my L16. That has made a BIIG difference in how smooth she runs, lovin it! I have also spent several hours in the cab puttin in new carpet on floor, kick panels, door panels and headliner. No more rusty metal floor boards. This has of course reduced the noise inside the cab to a much more tolerable level. Holds in the heat better too. I installed a little cheap center console for now till I can find a good one that I like. I hooked up another gauge, now I have water temp.

Of course here are some pics of the work.

Before carpet install:(

0321091621.jpg

0321091620a.jpg

After carpet install:)

0322091453.jpg

0322091600.jpg

0322091600a.jpg

And here is the headliner

0328091654a.jpg

:D:DELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTOR::D:D

0328091653.jpg

Better place for my coffee cup than between my legs:eek:

0328091654.jpg

Water temp? Runnin just right:)

0328091701.jpg

well i uncovered the 521 today.....and started at it, and started dreaming..not sure what I am going to do yet, if I keep it, I think I am going to bag it. I did load in an engine into the back of the 620 today..lol

Nothing, went to Golden gardens hoping to see more vintage datsuns. instead i saw the most liberal use of rivets, bondo, fiberglass and bailing wire. Still saw some sweet datsuns though. Saw some ratsun stickers to hard to pick you guys out fromt he tuner crowd though. saw some 620's i wanted to get a pic of. tan one with tilt bed and yukon wheels, black extdo with frontier rims, nice in person, tried to get them on film as you guys left but to far away. saw a couple 521's. it was fun let me tell you though riding to seattle in a coilovered, twin turbo'd, rb 26 powered 240 with no exhaust was mind numbing. my ears are still ringin. but it was fun someone should organize a regular meeting point like that for classic datsuns. I miss the old cruising scene of ruston way or the seattle waterfront...fun times wish i coulda stayed longer, 521 sat on jack standds all weekend. but i cleaned all my other crap and put the chevy back under cover and in the garage. I'm glad i didn't drive it the SPD probably wouldn't have liked my line lock demonstration. I love a nsascar style burnout