What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

79 620

today i cleaned my carb, ajusted the idle screw, sprayed some febreaze inside, removed the rusted tiny bolts on the light fixtures so i could install some new ones, greased the front end , and made a list of things that need done like gear oil for tranny and diff

oh and installed a tach but when i put it in the idle read fine but the actual rpm when i rev'd wouldn't go past 1500rpm on the tach ... maybe i should buy one that wasnt $30...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

swapped out a few coils and plug wires, trying to find out why it's not getting any spark!

cleaned out the bed, previous owner left me all sorts of goodies from empty bean cans to a full set of snap on wrenches and some 1/4,3/8's sockets!

started cleaning the cab till I found $20 under the seat, so I went and got some dinner.... what will tomarrow bring!

cleaned out the bed, previous owner left me all sorts of goodies from empty bean cans to a full set of snap on wrenches and some 1/4,3/8's sockets!

started cleaning the cab till I found $20 under the seat, so I went and got some dinner.... what will tomarrow bring!

see it has just about paid for its self all ready

i took out more of the dashboatd and A/C parts from my parts truck. I thought I would have trouble with the cigarette lighter after reading about other guy's problems with it,but it practically fell out. Cool! now I just have to get those three screws up by the winshield. someone 'worked' om it before and they almost stripped them. Hopefully some liquid wrench will help.

It was actually this past Monday, but while I was having Rainier Auto Glass replace my cracked windshield on site, he removed the windshield, then left to go do another job, giving me about three hours to sand down, primer paint, scuff, and reshoot the rusty metal part of the dash with Krylon Rust Tough Semi Flat rattle can paint. He then returned and installed the new windshield and rubber gasket. Total cost for windshield replacement was $232.00. It's sure nice having a new windshield!

Dan

Datsundashrepaintandwhitewalls003.jpg

I had a good day! I finally got the parts truck to roll again-carrier bearing snagged going forward,I got the windshield and dsah out. and put my project 620 in the garage out of harms way.

project1.jpg

project2.jpg

has anyone seen these mats before? They've got the 70's written all over them. They're a little ragged,but i might still use them.

mats.jpg

Threw out some grandiose ideas with the creator of the Datsun 620 EV. It's been blacked out for ten days now & I can't troubleshoot the problem. The whole town knows about this dead truck like it made the headlines/obits in the paper & people ask me about it all the time! But then again...it died in a trailer park...so eventually I'll wind up having to suppress rumors. Ha! When I got the splitty veedub bus, friends started asking if this was going to be electric, too. No local mechanic (in my town, they're all named "Joe" btw) will touch a home made electric vehicle. Yet the creator seems to think he can bring it back to life in nanoseconds. I can just see him now...bowing down in front of the truck like a faith healer: closing his eyes and muttering some kind of drone chant while he puts his hands on the hood & the thing instantly wakes up from a coma. He may take the '74 620 back with him and convert it to electric, too. And on top of that, I may collaborate with him on bringing an existing 521 EV up to its full running/range capabilities with an upgraded gel battery pack or something along the lines of Tesla technology.

I've been slowly cleaning out the 620 EV. The strange, but pungently fragrant original cab smell that came with it when it was delivered last spring is returning. Creepy!! Every Datsun PU I get tends to turn into a rolling dumpster using them in my landscaping business. Candy wrappers, empty drink cups, and the padded mailers and bios and promo fluff from the radio station that I process/review going from job to job. In fact, that's probably why the EV went dead--something fluttered in through the grille of the aux battery charger & might have shorted something out.

Edited by mellotrongirl
  • 2 weeks later...
Painted my rims an old looking color. I am planning on dropping a pinstripe on them too. I like em way better, but they are taking some getting used to!

Lots of good feedback so far...what do you guys think?

P9300047.jpg

P9300049.jpg

those are nice!!!! i wish mine were that nice, the whitewall really compliments your winshield sticker

pulled a couple broken bolts, and pulled out hte dash to install a crack free dash pad. also painted the metal part of the dash again to make it one color instead of 2. i also replaced the cracked cluster lens, installed an OE tach into the bezel, and hopefully willbe installing it nad wiring it up tomorrow.

On my 620, I got my rear drums off to discover the pads were worn to the metal.... while it was jacked up, I sawed my 3" drop blocks into 1.5" drop blocks (anyone want a pair of 1.5" drop blocks? :D ), and discovered that the Dreaded Previous Owner somehow eliminated the center bearing on the driveshaft and hacked huge holes the floor pan to get the 5-speed in. :mad::mad::mad: