What did you do to your truck today?

Madness

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over the weekend I pulled the dash out of my truck and started pulling off the puffy dash pad to discover that the original padding was still there! Today I took it into work and filled all the cracks with silicone and smoothed it all back out.

I cut some new door pannel boards and tried to line up the clip holes (what a pain in the ssa)

I ordered 6 yards of black suede and 2 1/2 yards of back sparkle vinyl.

Found somewhere that sells a full re build kit for the 1600cc but for 510 bucks :blink:

I got new doors today at Pick N Pull. I screwed up the doors on the 620 as there were many holes from lantern mirrors, and I pretty much warped the shit out of the skin. These doors aren't too rusty and have much smaller holes to be filled in.

620newdoors.jpg

This is for the last couple days,

Monday: Drove her to Kelso to do a Job Shadow at the Toyota Dealership there. Used the drive as the major test of my Weber rebuild/install.

Tuesday: Drove to Kelso again, filled her up with what the British call petrol and found out i get about 6 or 7 better MPG then the old stock carb I had on her. Gave her a new fan belt since the old one decided to sing her death song. Killed a ricer (Prelude) on the freeway too. :D

Wednesday: Gave her a name finally (Nissy). Installed a Idle Cut-Off so she won't diesel. Made a list of stuff I want to do before the year is done. Main things on list is get her heart rebuilt, give her a fresh coat of paint, and straighten the right front corner out. Anyone know the code for that stock Tan I got? If ya do, PM me.

"Removed" the steering wheel, clam shell, and turn signal switch for repair and refurbish.

Broke 2 of the clips for the horn button. Push and twist... who knew?

And now im on the hunt for a knob set...

Don't feel bad, I screwed up on that the first time I took off the 521 steering pad too.

Thursday: Went into work and tried to fill the cracks in my wheel with corian glue... didnt work, i think ill use jb weld putty. I recived 6 yards of black suede, 2 1/2 yards of sparkle black vinyl, and a pair of hog ring plyers.

Friday: drove all over denver to upholstery suppliers to find everything i need at the right price. Picked up foam, scrim, piping, chrome trim, glue, hog rings, burlap, thread, and needles.

But today is VD so this is about all the datsun ill get today. :rolleyes:

Thursday: Went into work and tried to fill the cracks in my wheel with corian glue... didnt work, i think ill use jb weld putty.

Hey Madness, not to get off track here, but JB weld will work. I've restored a number of steering wheels and it is easy to do, but it's VERY time consuming! It seems to hold up very well. I did the steering wheel in my '62 Buick about 8 years ago and after all that time and close to 25,000 miles it still looks great. Last fall I finished another steering wheel I was going to use on my old bagged fullsize Chevy truck, but I sold the truck and now it is sitting around gathering dust. It was pulled out of a car in the junkyard and had substantial cracking. My friends all said restoring it was crazy because it was in such bad shape. But, after many many hours of work, it turned out beautiful.

I use the JB quick. When you are filling cracks, if they aren't very wide, you may have to widen them. Use a small thin file similar to what is used for model car building or model railroading. Finger nail sanding boards that girls use to do their nails will work too, they just don't last very long. I know that sounds crazy, but if they aren't wide enough for the JB weld to get way down in there it will crack out again. Trust me, I know. Nothing more irritating than repairing and sanding a steering wheel for 40+ hours to get it prepped, sand, prime, sand, prime and then shooting it in Kandy only to have it crack out a short time later. I've included a picture of the steering wheel in my Buick. Sorry the picture is so small, but it gives you an idea of what can be done to bring a steering wheel back.

Good luck! E

Buickinterior-1.jpg

I borrowed my neighbor's battery charger yesterday. Charged the battery all night. May try to get her fired up and fully charg the battery today. Looks like th weather may warm up so have to get that leaky water pump out. But someone today have to order the gasket. And I still have to cut the clutch of a spare pump for a replacement.

Friday: drove all over denver to upholstery suppliers to find everything i need at the right price. Picked up foam, scrim, piping, chrome trim, glue, hog rings, burlap, thread, and needles.

And you didn't even call me? WTH? :D

You should PM me with some of the "good" spots to get interior stuff. I truly need to get started on my panels and center console. Look forward to hearing from you man.

Pulled a new clutch master (zero dollars!!) from a 620 in my friends JY...will install Monday:cool:

today i installed an antenna on my truck

I also took out the center console. I started cutting into the dash to install a stereo, but after making one cut i figured it wouldnt fit in there anyways due to how long the newer stereos are.

So I took it out, and i have a plastic case i can install the stereo in, then screw it to the metal bracket where the center console was mounted to.

I got the wiring done for the ground/accessory on the stereo. Afterwards it was to dark so called it a day. This week, will pickup a cheap speaker box from sounds waves in warrenton to put my speakers in, and find a good spot to mount the tweeters.