My green 620

Icehouse

Well I've had my truck for about 2.5 years, it's been on the bumpstops/frame the whole time!! It's a pretty clean truck, it's been repainted so who knows what's underneath but I lover her non the less. I've wanted to "C" notch it and do something with the front end for a long time and found a solution. Dave found a 4x4, he was talking about selling it because he didn't want another project. So now I have it :eek: We worked out a deal a week ago and started pulling the cab off so we can put mine on. The truck was hammered!! The 4x4 conversion had a short driveline that went to the transfer case, at one point the bolts sheared off and damn near cut the cab in half :eek::eek: There were some 620 4x4 parts on CL so I bought the transfer case, steering link and rear DL for 50 bucks.

This truck was a dealer option and converted somewhere in the northwest, I forget the place but it was in the door jam on a badge, which I saved :D After pulling the truck all the way apart we realized how crapy the conversion had become, it may have been alright back in 78 but time had taken its tole. So now the its a bare frame and is going through some conversions :D The other transfercase had a cool adapter that fit perfectly onto the L series transmission, instead of the stupid short DL, so I had to use it, since I didn't want the short DL to wack through the cab again.

Here are the pics, hopefully in the next couple weeks it will be back on the road, it's kind of a bitch since I'm not much of a 4x4 guy.... I've been talking to Redeye and he's going to make sure I'm not building a death trap :D

here are the pics so far.

big%20truck%20008.JPG

big%20truck%20009.JPG

big%20trukc%20001.JPG

big%20trukc%20003.JPG

big%20trukc%20007.JPG

big%20trukc%20013.JPG

big%20trukc%20016.JPG

big%20trukc%20017.JPG

Well I have ton's of stuff to figure out, including bodylift, transfercase mounts, DL angle, Steering link, break lines, and who knows what else. The truck has a makeshift 2" body lift, not being much of a 4x4 dude I didn't see the point besides making the truck taller, but after working under it the body lift is sweet!! The top tranny bolts are super easy to get to!! So I want to put some sort of spacers back in, I'm not sure the exact size....

The steering link is totally messed up to, it was broken I estimate 4 times and rewelded. I think it was because the link was bent to clear the steering link, I didn't think it had to be bent but with the L motor in it had to be, lucky for me I got one with all the parts I bought off CL. So this week I need to order new tie rods. I just hope with the new link I don't have to build a new oil pan... If it requires it that's what will have to happen :D

So there are a few major changes that will have to change to get it road worthy but nothing to difficult, just time. :D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you are putting your '78 KC body on this 4x4 frame you are building up?

Yep :D It's a KC frame so the only thing I am really doing is fixing the mounting points for the transfer case, well and fixing where they had the flat bed welded on. I also want to cut off the huge bumper but it has a built in toe hitch which would be handy so I don't know what I'm going to do about that. I like my low 620 but I've always wanted a 4x4 620, there is no way I wanted to try and fix up the body that was on that truck :eek:

What are you doing with your KA in the green KC?

It's going in the 4x4 as well :D I don't think I could deal with more than one car with carburetors :D

Looks like it has the potential for a great rig for hauling home all sorts of Datsun "loot". Needs a KA though....

Yeah 4 wheel drive comes in handy when finding cars in back yards :D So yeah it's also going to be nice to have a rig that doesn't require alternate routes dude to rough roads :D

Jeff ya need to call me man I got shit ton of idea's for your truck you could do and I have lots of ideas for parts and such! I've done toyota conversions

I will!! I just wonder how stout the setup I have will be, not that the ka is an ultimate power or anything, I just wonder how strong the trans and transfer case connection is. I would like to have a little more power but get nervoius about putting a turbo on it. I would hate fore the transfercase to come apart of something.

I am super excited though :D I gotta find some cars in feilds so I can test the 4x4 action out :D

Dude I am a little bummed you are killing your green KC, it is one of my favorites! But I am psyched for you on your new adventure! I totally understand having to shake things up and start fresh. (though I almost wish you'd sell your KC and just get a new body! Especially if you plan on banging this thing up in the woods! Your KC is an icon!)

Jeff, I wouldn't worry about that transfer case. I have a 360 V8 and you've seen how I drive, mine holds up ok :D

I still say your going to want power steering in that thing as well. Talked with Mike a bit thru PM's. He said he used a 280Z steering box.

Oh yeah...I got some parts for you :P

2eDeYe;126988']Jeff' date=' I wouldn't worry about that transfer case. I have a 360 V8 and you've seen how I drive, mine holds up ok :D

I still say your going to want power steering in that thing as well. Talked with Mike a bit thru PM's. He said he used a 280Z steering box.

Oh yeah...I got some parts for you :P[/quote']

The power steering will be a later project, right now I'm going to focus on making the running gear correct. Which is a project in itself!!

Should have just bought a bed then paint the truck green as your other and nobody would know the difference. and have 2

I cant believe your taking the green truck apart!!!!!!!!!!

I thought about that but the black truck was just to hammered! The cab was almost split in half because of the DL problems it had. plus I have to many rigs as it is, I just want one niceish 4x4 rig. Plus I don't want another L series rig :D

2eDeYe;127003'']That's what I keep telling him...:lol:

I thought about it long and hard before deciding to pull the green truck apart. To me it just makes better cents. If I would have kept it low I would have wanted to build everything that you are going to build for your rig, this way should work out great.... Even though it is way more work than I was expecting.... Stupid dealer option conversion being so hacked....

should finnish the 510 first!!!!!!!

All in time :D

cool project. :)

Thanks kevin :D

I thought about it long and hard before deciding to pull the green truck apart. To me it just makes better cents. If I would have kept it low I would have wanted to build everything that you are going to build for your rig, this way should work out great.... Even though it is way more work than I was expecting.... Stupid dealer option conversion being so hacked....

Ok then, I got dibs on the old frame :D

We are gonna go 4 wheeling this Sat, you should come and see what the fun is about. ;)

2eDeYe;127044']Ok then' date=' I got dibs on the old frame :D

We are gonna go 4 wheeling this Sat, you should come and see what the fun is about. ;)[/quote']

You can have the old frame if you want it :D

I'll be trying to get it finished this saturday :D

Cool project Jeff.

Now you can go 4X-ing with Redeye. :D

I would like to but not for a while, the front DL needs a rebuild along with a pretty big list of stuff, so it's going to be a while before it's "ready" :D I would also like to put some carpet in it, after installing some in my dime I'm spoiled :D

You can have the old frame if you want it :D

I'll be trying to get it finished this saturday :D

If you go 4 wheeling post a video. :D I love Redeye's adventures in 4X4 world.

Edit:I read your last post......well, when it is ready make a video. lol

So this one will be no more?? Bye Bye GreenPee

greenpee.jpg

Edited by Phlebmaster

Heh I am all for you having fun with this Jeff! But it is kinda funny. You know the world is getting turned upside down when Jeff Hino, THE Icehouse, the wolf man (and who know how many more nicknames) actually types that he wants to make his ride go 'higher', and not lower!! Welcome to bizarro world!

Next thing you know you will give up KA's and SR's and start embracing the way of the L again!:D:lol: