Wrecking Yard Report

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was there today.  I got an entire front suspension (frame, all suspension, torsion bars, steering box) from an 85 720.  The guy seems pretty cool to me.  I pulled the bumper and front cab mounts, then he picked the whole truck up with his forklift & brought it over & did most of the work to cut everything off for me, and loaded it into my pickup.  I might have overpaid at $200 for everything, but I didn't have to do any lifting, jacking, or crawl around in the dirt for any of it, so I was pretty happy.  I had gone by on Friday and asked about the parts/quote, and it hadn't included the steering box, but when I showed back up today he was happy to give it to me for free.  Seems like a reasonable guy.

I was up there yesterday with my friend and my friend mentioned when I was asking about 280zx turbo parts the owner was making eyes at his son like "We are gonna take this gringo".

He wanted $200 for a used turbo and $100 for the exhaust manifold. 

I said no and walked.

The important thing to realize is that this is not a chain salvage yard with set prices, just a guy with some junked cars who will do whatever he feels like.

• Like 1

I was up there yesterday with my friend and my friend mentioned when I was asking about 280zx turbo parts the owner was making eyes at his son like "We are gonna take this gringo".

He wanted $200 for a used turbo and $100 for the exhaust manifold.

I said no and walked.

The important thing to realize is that this is not a chain salvage yard with set prices, just a guy with some junked cars who will do whatever he feels like.

Try to haggle with him? I talked to him a bit about that. I think he just tries to throw out a high price and see what sticks. From what he told me, he wanted to sell the motor complete, hence the overly high price for the parts. I've bought other drivetrain parts from him before for reasonable prices...shrug
  • Like 1

Try to haggle with him? I talked to him a bit about that. I think he just tries to throw out a high price and see what sticks. From what he told me, he wanted to sell the motor complete, hence the overly high price for the parts. I've bought other drivetrain parts from him before for reasonable prices...shrug

Eh, not worth the hassle.

We went over to some of the other yards in the area and ended up finding some goodies at decent prices so it was not a wasted trip.

• Like 1

And a 280 with a complete set of ST wheels that would clean up real nice. The center caps were gone, but the lugs were all there.

IMG_4305_zps978cb49f.jpg

Screw the wheels, get the struts!! 

This car still has the struts with it.I just got back from there.The struts are laying on the floorboards,i removed them but when i went to pay didnt like the price.$140.00 without calipers !

That's not a terrible price for zx struts these days.

From a junkyard for blown out shit thats a pretty bad price.

Yea i thought about it on the way home,i may go back and get them tomorrow.I already have a set on the 510,i just didnt want them to end up scrapped thats why i put in the effort to get them off.The cartridges were definitely shot along with the rotors and calipers.Unfortunately Ecology doesnt do 50% off sales ever.

San Diego, Chula Vista Ecology Auto Wreckers had quite the selection when I went this weekend.

810 Wagon with owners manual ( I always liked the spring loaded hood ornament on these!_

IMG_4304_zps8b66275a.jpg

IMG_4303_zpsbb86dd47.jpg

IMG_4302_zps0eb95cf0.jpg

An orange 620

IMG_4309_zpsc364f5dd.jpg

A 210 wagon

IMG_4301_zps2d7f566b.jpg

I'm kinda late but did it that maxima wagon have a good center console brown maybe? I need one for my 84 maxima as It didn't have one when I bought it.

• Like 1

That use to be my prime yard for datsun parts. 15 years ago the first 6 rows were mostly z and zx cars.. Where they have the BMW's behind the office use to be row after row of datsun trucks.. I Sure miss the good old days of going to the yard and being 99% sure that you were going to find what you were there for. Now I don't even bring my tool bag in the yard with me..

• Like 1

Sorry gang, every 2-3 months I've barely got the time & energy to drive 100 miles (round-trip) to the yards & search and pull the parts I'm seeking. I try to informationally take pics of other Dats while I'm there and post for others when I get home. Unfortunately I don't always identify unfamiliar models correct or take note of what's left. It just isn't time or cost effective for me to go back for parts for myself or others. Thanks to those who keep me straight and point out other desirable parts left on them.

If you are looking for something specific you can PM me your email address & a pic of the model with year, and I can email you if it's there when I go.

FYI: I don't go often, and usually on the spur of the moment.

• Like 1