Charlie69's 66 520 Build

Charlie69

At the back near the windshield they are the same width, but that is about all there is that is the same, they narrow differently going forward and the 520 is slightly shorter, it will be difficult to make a longer 520 hood, same with the fenders, difficult to lengthen them and have them look proper, that is why I mentioned the engine compartment and how I would never do another 520, too hard to get a decent engine in one.

You are attempting a very big conversion, my 520 box conversion was way easier than what you have in mind, and that took months for me to do and I was working with straight lines/curves for the most part, narrowing and widening angled parts is a headache, you have to do most of it from scratch, the 521 is easier to work with.

The 521 hood only narrows 2" from back to front, much easier to deal with than the 7" the 520 hood narrows from back to the front.

I would do a 521 double cab not a 520 double cab.

I just realized what thread this was, but I am going to leave what I wrote above, why did you ask me about the 520 hood in this thread?

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lack of sleep Wayno.  I thought I was in my other thread on the quad cab.  You have convinced me to do the 521 double cab instead of the 520 front section.  I will see if Redeye can move these to the correct thread.

Thank you Wayno I do appreciate all the info and the parts you have helped me with over the years.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 1

My Older sister the babies great grand mother has custody of the baby for now.  My older sister and her husband will hopefully get permanent custody of the baby.  For now the baby is safe and is receiving good care.

The trial has not started yet for the killer.

• Like 1

I had C3-6 nerves in my neck burned today on the right side.  July 9th The left side gets done.  I  hope to work on my wiring harness some more during this time.

After I get the neck done then Dr Lucas will start testing the nerves in my lowering back.  Once he identifies the nerves in my lower back that is transmitting the pain signals He will burn them also.  I am hoping that this will last about 2 years of being pain free in my lower back and neck.  The alternative is to fuse the vertebrae.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I had C3-6 nerves in my neck burned today on the right side.  July 9th The left side gets done.  I  hope to work on my wiring harness some more during this time.

Charlie, I hope this does the trick for you. 

I have some back problems that they can't do anything for, and I know about the good days and bad days.  I know it sucks, but the bright side is we're still on the right side of the dirt 👍 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I had the left side of my neck nerves burned a couple months ago.  This was completely different from the right side as the right side was great after the burn.  The left side was two months of pain and any movement in my neck resulted in pop, cracking or a grinding noise and jerky movement.  So from what I was told by Dr Lucas's PA Becky i have experienced both the good and the extreme healing processes from these procedures.  It has helped tremendously with the neck pain and severe headaches I was experiencing.

I had some used tires mounted up on the trooper wheels for rollers and to see so they fit on my 520.  I will try to get some pictures this weekend when I clean the garage and roll the 520 out into the sun light.

I like the way the wheels and tires look ,, but will be able to see better the fit and looks when the truck is out of the tight confines of my garage.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...

Look what I bought today on ebay for my 520.  I bought it for the air cleaner, I thought the crushed look was stunning!!!  LOL

This might be an un used Weber I will no when I pull it apart after I put it on a Z24 I have and see if it works.  Never seen a Weber air cleaner like this one.

Ebay Used Weber 1.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 2.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 3.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 4.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 5.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 6.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 7.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 8.jpg

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Look what I bought today on ebay for my 520.  I bought it for the air cleaner, I thought the crushed look was stunning!!!  LOL

This might be an un used Weber I will no when I pull it apart after I put it on a Z24 I have and see if it works.  Never seen a Weber air cleaner like this one.

Ebay Used Weber 1.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 2.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 3.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 4.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 5.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 6.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 7.jpg

Ebay Used Weber 8.jpg

They're highly regarded. Should work well. 

• Like 1

I should receive this carb and air cleaner around April 17 as this was an Ebay purchase.

Mr Tanker do you have any idea how old this air cleaner might be?

Slowlearner thank you for the feed back.

I will most likely soda blast the air cleaner first.  If that does not work then I will use a more aggressive abrasive media.

If the carb turns out to be good then it will be installed on the Z20 engine that will go in my 86 720 King Cab.  This truck I will eventually sell after I get my 84 74 King Cab ST on the road.

I have a new Weber DGEV 32/36 for my 66 520 L20B.  I am in search of an exhaust shop to do my exhaust from the manifold back using a Mike Klotz flange.  This means the exhaust shop will need to make a new "Y" pipe. Something like this.

L_Engine_Flange_with_Down_Pipe.jpg

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

That was someone that d.p found.  I tried to order one from him and never received a reply.  Later heard he quit making them.

I will have the exhaust shop make one using this picture as an example.

14 hours ago, d.p said:

Its the guy you sold the design to IIRC.  

That would have been Martin War.   I had a recent inquiry about the flanges from Adam Beaty.  He's looking to do some in stainless steel....flanges and downpipes....maybe.  I've added his contact info to flange product on my page.  I have zero clue how much he's going to charge, but I've seen pics of his SS pipe work....very nice!

CONTACT Adam at FuzionFabricationllc@gmail.com if you are interested in one of these in stainless steel or if you want a downpipe made.

• Like 1

datsunfreak that is kool, I would love to find one of the Redlines like you pictured for 66 520.  I have not seen that type either.

Maybe the one I have is an EMPI knock off.

The Weber is here and is clean inside so I will put it on a Z24 and find out if it is good.  It has been used but does not show any wear on the trottle shaft.  It is an old brass float model which I prefer.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 3
On 4/8/2021 at 12:47 AM, mklotz70 said:

That would have been Martin War.   I had a recent inquiry about the flanges from Adam Beaty.  He's looking to do some in stainless steel....flanges and downpipes....maybe.  I've added his contact info to flange product on my page.  I have zero clue how much he's going to charge, but I've seen pics of his SS pipe work....very nice!

CONTACT Adam at FuzionFabricationllc@gmail.com if you are interested in one of these in stainless steel or if you want a downpipe made.

Martin stole that idea ? Or did he buy them. I know Martin very well.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Martin stole that idea ? Or did he buy them. I know Martin very well.

He bought them....we're good. Martin is great.  He started, but since you know him, then you know that things went a bit sideways and he couldn't keep doing them.  I'm pretty sure that when he was able to do them again, he just didn't really want to.  I completely understand that!  Every day I think about shutting the shop down again because there's so much of it that I really just don't want to do.  Hell.....somedays I think I'll sell all the equipment and put a pool table in my shop. lol  

• Like 3
On 4/11/2021 at 12:33 PM, mklotz70 said:

He bought them....we're good. Martin is great.  He started, but since you know him, then you know that things went a bit sideways and he couldn't keep doing them.  I'm pretty sure that when he was able to do them again, he just didn't really want to.  I completely understand that!  Every day I think about shutting the shop down again because there's so much of it that I really just don't want to do.  Hell.....somedays I think I'll sell all the equipment and put a pool table in my shop. lol  

Good deal, I got one from him and used it in the coupe.

• Like 3