Charlie69

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I have 2 sets of the Shit Harbor digital calipers and they both will not turn on.  Even tested the batteries and both batteries are good. I am looking to buy a better quality set.

My "goto" calipers are always dial faced.  I use the digital for certain things.  That's too bad you've got two dead sets.  I've never had any trouble with their cheap ones dying.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

I get dizzy watching the needle going around on dial calipers!  LOL

So that explains why I've been a little dizzy since I started using them 45+ years ago....

I thought it was because I used drugs in my youth....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Worked on the 520 today.  Relocated the rear brake line on the passenger side frame rail.  When my brother Garret, and I installed the 1980 720 chassis under the 66 520 I cut all the tank mounts out of the passenger side of the chassis.  I will use the bed mounted factory 66 520 tank.  The front tank mount also had the passenger side e-brake cable mount that I will weld to the frame.  The rear passenger side tank mount had the rear brake hard line to hydraulic hose bracket on it that I relocated the bracket to weld to the frame.  Installed new rear hydraulic brake hose.  Ready to weld the rear brake line mount now I need to buy a welder.

I realized today that I need to move the upper rear shock brackets forward the 2 1/4" to match the leaf spring re drill to center the axle in the wheel well.  This is no problem as I need to lower the rear of the bed also to straighten out the body lines.

DSC02856.jpg

DSC02857.jpg

DSC02858.jpg

DSC02859.jpg

I also removed factory rear bump stops.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the links.  At the wrecking yards I have been going to these are only $2 to $4 each.  But I will most likely just buy one from your links as it will complete the set of 4 for me.  Still considering having some custom Mike Klotz centers made.

I purchased one on ebay to test fit. Then I found 1 in a wrecking yard cheap. Then I found 4 more  with 3 rear center caps real cheap.  So I have 5 matching and one that is machined finish with a tire mounted for test fit.

I will be getting 5 powder coated and the sixth will go in the attic for now.    

These wheels are on the 1998 to 2002 Isuzu Trooper Limited.

There are some on ebay for crazy prices.  The one I got on ebay was like $55 shipped out of Nevada.

I have under $200 in the six wheels.

I have a friend that owns a wrecking yard looking for another set cheap.  If you are interested I will let you know if they find a set cheap Lockleaf.  This is the same friend that gave me the VG30 automatic for my 720.

It is great to have friends that treat you the way you treat them.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just went thru this thread and I see lots of room for your battery in the stock position Charlie, you do not have any recent photos of the engine compartment, but I would not cut a hole in the side of your bed to make a drawer for the battery under the bed, clean body sides look way better.

If you have seen my 521 kingcab tiurbodiesel engine compartment you know what tight is, there really is no room left for anything, I have to unbolt and move the diesel fuel filter assembly next to the power steering reservoir in the photo below to the side just to get the oil filter out to change it as it will not go down, and removing the battery don't get it out of there either.

You can see the white top of the oil filter down in there between the battery and the power steering reservoir, by the way I did move the battery tray closer to the fender by cutting the inner fender and making a new tray, same with the air filter housing, I did a lot of cutting on the passenger inner fender but it doesn't interfere with the tire in any position.

These photos are before I put in the Volvo radiator, now I even have less room.

With a cover to keep the air from bypassing the radiator.

And how I put water in the radiator now as the Volvo radiator had no cap.

I put all this here because you mentioned in that other thread about moving the battery and I didn't want to clutter that thread up with my photos that had nothing to do with that subject which is room in your 520 engine compartment for your battery, yes this is a 521 engine compartment.

Here is my 520 engine compartment, I have a giant battery in it, it would be a giant hole without the battery there although I have the fuel pump and radiator reservoir on that side which you do not have, you can make room for a small Optima battery.

002.jpg

Edited by wayno
  • Like 2

That is way tighter than I would like my engine compartment Wayno.

My radiator takes up much more room than you as it is 27" across and with the shroud and the 2 12" fans are about 7" thick.

I can squeeze the battery in there but it will make my additional electrical, the AC dryer receiver and AC hoses rather cramped also.

• Like 1

My radiator(Volvo wagon) I have in it now is around 28 inches wide with no shroud, but it is only 2.5 inches thick and it runs cooler than it ever has, the fan center is around a quarter inch from the radiator core and the engine is slammed against the firewall as close as I could get and still have the front wheels centered in the fender wells, I didn't cut my tunnel though as this is a 521 and has a slightly larger engine bay front to rear, it is tight with this diesel engine/turbo/power steering/air filter and all related piping in there.

It took years to get where it is now, but it happened in steps, and I drove it between those steps, same with my 520, it went thru several phases but I have drove it between major conversions, neither were drove as a 4wd though.

I would leave the battery in the engine compartment, I look at it this way, how often does one deal with the battery after one puts it in and hooks it up, I don't ever touch mine unless I have to do something electrical like removing the starter, but I don't remove the battery, I just remove the positive cable off the post.

4 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

That is way tighter than I would like my engine compartment Wayno.

My radiator takes up much more room than you as it is 27" across and with the shroud and the 2 12" fans are about 7" thick.

I can squeeze the battery in there but it will make my additional electrical, the AC dryer receiver and AC hoses rather cramped also.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1