Hot wire

datslamd

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a guy wanted to start his datsun but he didn't have his harness in, would all he need to do is send current to the positive post on his coil, ground the chassis(and the coil), positive to the starter and arc the starter with a screwdriver? Trying to determine if my coil is shot, methinks it is.

Thanks

Negative jumper cable to the block, positive to the starter.

If Points....+12 to the ballast resister on the positive side of the coil, connect a wire from neg side of coil to distributer points. Touch screwdriver across starter terminal to the solenoid to turn over.

If EI dizzy... +12 to the + side of coil AND the terminal where the black and white wire connects onto the dizzy. A jumper wire from the other side of the coil to the terminal where the blue wire connects to the dizzy. Screwdriver across starter terminals to turn over.

Do not connect 12 volts to one side of the coil and ground the other or you WILL fry the coil!!!

So if the above method doesn't work, as in I have no spark at the spark plug nor the coil lead then my coil is definitely shot? I'm just working out the bugs with this engine room harness, the guy who had it before me was a real hack artist. I may need another engine harness but that's ony when I get desperate.

Thanks again!

To check your coil, put the high tension in the end and hold near groumd. Ground the neg(-) side and apply +12 to the other. Make and break this contact several times, sparks should jump from the high voltage wire to ground.

Are you using points or EI distributor?