New here, 78' 280z - race project

Z_Rac3r

Here is my girl after the wetsanding :) Spent most of today wetsanding as well, all the black is done now, I'm so sore

4.jpg

1.jpg

For suspension work, its all stock with the exception of a little camber kit. Nothing crazy, just the kit that replaces the control arm bushings. I'm planning on coil overs, camber plates, and the rest... haven't thought about. Realistically it will be about a year before I can really open her up at the track, just from all the work it needs to be track ready.

I just ordered a roll bar, seat, harness, and the gauges I've been drooling over for about a year *stewart warner Greenlines* and I'll be making an alluminum dash over the next 2 weeks, so once thats in there and the inside is cleaner I'll post some better pics. (I post lots of pictures if you guys havent noticed, I'll try to keep them in this thread and just add to it so the board doesnt get overwhelmed.)

My car has been dashless for about... 6 months? about a year ago I put a new tranny in and the speedo never worked. I've actually been pulled over with my car like it is now, completely striped no dash, no nothing.. it was quite hilarious and I got away with no ticket.

And yup, Justin came up :) we went on a cruise, and yup kept me warm. I'm always embarassed when I show people my car, just because its such a project, so messy... but secretly I love it. Even when my car was like 4 different colors, I drove it around, parked it under streetlights, and everytime I get out and walk away, I turn around and smile. I'm a dork when it comes to my car.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

everytime I get out and walk away, I turn around and smile. I'm a dork when it comes to my car.

im pretty sure we all do that :D

lol otherwise we would just be normal boring people out driving something lame like a Prius from point A to point B :fu:

Well I will argue the negative points, because really... your gauges are letting you keep an eye on the motor, but what aspects that you can't watch yourself if you take care of her.

You've got speedometer (if you are comfortable with your car, gears, and paid attention to acceleration and rpm when you did have the dash in, you have a pretty good feeling about how fast you are going, in what gear, at what rpm)

Tachometer (you can hear if you are over/under working your engine, and again if you paid attention to how your car performs before you took the dash out you would have a feel for what it felt and sounded like going up the tach) my car was gutted before the dash came out, it was loud after the carpet, panels, and sound deadener came out. i've got a good feeling what she sounds like when she is running right.

Fuel (if never had a working fuel gauge in any of my cars except this one, I've never been close to running out of gas, my fuel gauge worked before I took it out and ive got a good idea how long I can go on a tank without running dry. You just have to mentally keep track of your milage and take care of her)

Oil Pressure (this is the only one that could be a little iffy. However, when you lose/gain oil pressure, there is normally a bigger problem, which you would either catch when it happens, or if you check your fluids every few days, daily drive it, just simply pay attention to it, when something happens you'll catch it.) but sure you can give me a negative point for no oil pressure gauge

Temp gauge (my car runs pretty cool compared to the other Z's I've seen. Im running like 75% water 25% coolant with water wetter. Coolant problems are my specialty lol because stuff on my first 2 cars was always going wrong, with the Z's stripped or not you can smell anything, if your car starts getting too hot, you start to smell coolant very faintly, theres at least a 10 minute warning before it starts leaking. that sounds stupid but its true.)

Voltage (srsly?)

Clock (okay I admit the clock is pretty cool, I'll take a negative point for that one)

Sorry for the book ;) and it probably sounds stupid and cocky online, But you have to admit if you are constantly checking your engine, have a stripped car and can smell or hear every little thing the motor is doing, and you know what its like when its running beautifully, gauges are optional ;) at least until you make a new sexy dash. :lol::fu:

Hmm.. I disagree, politely.

Voltmeter - I run one mostly to let me know if the alternator is turning. I'm not so concerned with an alternator failure as a belt failure causing the water pump to stop turning.

Water Temp - I have a moderately built head. The PO paid over $1k at the machine shop in the head. I'd rather not overheat it, ever. I have a 3 core radiator and my temp is always rock solid. I know this because I have the gauge.

Oil Pressure - again, lots invested in the engine. Should something happen, it's better to shut it down at the onset of trouble. I actually have a gauge and 2 warning lights - 5# and 20#!

Speedo - I don't like tickets.

Tach - I rev my car past 7k almost every time I drive it. I actually bought the nice aftermarket tach so I could trust it. The engine is built to rev, but I'm not interested in trusting "feel".

I appreciate what you are saying, but I completely disagree. Feel is completely subjective. It is not accurate at all.

Just my .02.

You are correct, just meant I was comfortable enough with feel, for my daily driver. If I had a lot of money invested in the motor Id never run without a dash. right now as this is a build and project car its fine to run no dash while I build one. Was halfway a joke, attempt at humor, and an excuse to run no dash for a bit and clean up the inside. Its taken 6 months because I keep working on other parts of the car.

I'll shut up now.

You are correct, just meant I was comfortable enough with feel, for my daily driver. If I had a lot of money invested in the motor Id never run without a dash. right now as this is a build and project car its fine to run no dash while I build one. Was halfway a joke, attempt at humor, and an excuse to run no dash for a bit and clean up the inside. Its taken 6 months because I keep working on other parts of the car.

I'll shut up now.

I'm following you now. I agree in that case!

So this might sound silly, but I found the paint I will be using for the top half of my car since I'm redoing the blue. Halfway for the bad ass factor, and halfway because you just can't get any better.

From a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo, "Arancio Borealis" paint code 905385/2, LOE2, gall89.jpg

Probably overdoing it, but it will be gorgeous.

My post was meant to be funny as well.

Maybe a slight hint of concern.

Sorry if I seemed "preachy".

That is a cool orange. If you want really wild, try combining it with an "electric blue" metallic, using the beltline like you already are.

I did, looked AMAZING, on a tuned, maxed out R34 Skyline, on a racing game for the gamecube. I forgot which game. Lotsa modern rap, cars were in an underground garage or tunnel when you selected them...

It's funny to see how polite everyone is in this particular thread, wonder why lol.

Nice z

I'm personally not a fan of orange or lambos BUT if orange is to be had one could do worse. I agree with cheg on accenting it with black, it helps the orange to pop and it adds much needed balance to a loud color. My .02.

It's funny to see how polite everyone is in this particular thread, wonder why lol.

? Dont be nice just cause I'm a girl if thats what you meant. flame me when I do or say something stupid I'm tough, don't want different treatment.

just sayin.

? Dont be nice just cause I'm a girl if thats what you meant. flame me when I do or say something stupid I'm tough, don't want different treatment.

just sayin.

Okay Megan, I'm not trying to be mean or anything but...

I think you should give credit to the person for the quote in your siggy...unless you also made it up by coincidence. :blink:

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"

just sayin.

There is a difference between nice and polite. This forum is filled with nice people, but in no forum do I ever see people apologizing for their opinion or walking so softly as I do when there is a women involved (not JUST this thread).

Nothing wrong with polite, OR poking fun lol.

As for that quote it's not just from hbz and I honestly doubt it originated there. Giving credit to "unknown" is as good as its going to get imo. Google the phrase without the quotes and see how many people in how many forums are using it or a variant of it. The numbers are surprisingly high.

it was off hbz, not quoted in their sig so dont know if they made it up but I'll find it and post. I'll remove it until then. Didnt think it was a big deal sorry.

No worries Megan! I didn't think you'd take me seriously :blush:

Thanks though...don't remove on my account, because I think it is pretty funny! :thumbup:

I am absolutely dying to see the interior of your car. Bare firewall is so sexy, it's unbearable.

Oh, I love your wheels as well. I'd give you shit about having so much vac in your engine bay... if you were pre-smog. I can't figure out why anybody in Cali would buy a post-smog Z, you're crazy.

Now I'm even more excited to get my Z up here. Should be delivered with the new motor tonight, I can't wait.

I am absolutely dying to see the interior of your car. Bare firewall is so sexy, it's unbearable.

I had the joy of listening to engine and gearbox music in her Z for a total of 10+ hours this weekend. It's a bit loud, but it's fun... I could sleep in there during a road trip even w/ the noise. Oh wait, I already did partially. The sound of a Z is soothing to me, I couldn't help it.

But the interior is dead sexy all stripped out... I took a pic while sitting in it.

Click to enlarge...

th_IMG_1062.jpg

I had the joy of listening to engine and gearbox music in her Z for a total of 10+ hours this weekend. It's a bit loud, but it's fun... I could sleep in there during a road trip even w/ the noise. Oh wait, I already did partially. The sound of a Z is soothing to me, I couldn't help it.

But the interior is dead sexy all stripped out... I took a pic while sitting in it.

Click to enlarge...

th_IMG_1062.jpg

I would totally have sex with that car. It's so naked and exposed and sexy. Now I'm actually considering going dashless. However, it's been real damn cold and wet up here in the Bay Area, and I'd rather have my heat, especially with all the open holes it has (heh heh, open holes) in the firewall and floor.