internal reg. alt. help

Moisabamf

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the left side of the diagram is for the internally-regulated Datsun alternator circa 1980 type.

* Don't run any new wires to the new alternator, plug in the original T-connector to it

* pull the connector off the original regulator, and add the jumper wire.

If you have removed the original wiring, then you have to figure out what to do next...

Edited by ggzilla
  • Like 1

Could some one please post a picture of an actual alt in the car and show the wiring set up on this?

I will be doing this same thing with my 620, I got a 65 amp alt to put in and I would like to see it done right so I don't mess it up.

Thank you very much for this post! :D

Edited by Phlebmaster

Nothing to mickey mouse.

Just in trucks bigger alt could hit idler arm.

remove ext reg

just get jumper wires and install it where the plastic connector when to the reg.

use the color code on the datsun wire harness not the regulator as some newer regs had right color code but not match up to the datsun pin wireing.

this is for a 510 but color codes are the same I believe

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=124&size=big&papass=&sort=1

Nothing to mickey mouse.

Just in trucks bigger alt could hit idler arm.

remove ext reg

just get jumper wires and install it where the plastic connector when to the reg.

use the color code on the datsun wire harness not the regulator as some newer regs had right color code but not match up to the datsun pin wireing.

this is for a 510 but color codes are the same I believe

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=124&size=big&papass=&sort=1

Thanks Hainz. I can't wait to get this done. :D There are sooo many threads on this but I have not seen a clear pic of the wiring after the install. That is why I asked. I will take one when I install mine. ;)

Could some one please post a picture of an actual alt in the car and show the wiring set up on this?

Here ya go:

1. Pull regulator connectors apart

Ratsun types will add jumper:

7441.jpg

Trailer queen types will need this store-bought jumper, only $30

14739.jpg

I've got no pic of the alternator, because it was just stock. I fitted newer engine with stock IC alternator, into older Datsun with external regulator wiring harness.

The newer IC alternator uses the stock wiring harness in a 510 or B110. Same connectors and everything. It is an Hitachi IC internally regulated alternator. Subie alternator shown below fits same brackets, but electrical connector is different.

5088.jpg

Alternator Comparison & swap info

Edited by ggzilla

Aaron i swapped in a 77-81 65 amp 510 alt last year. Easy, remove voltage regulator from truck...cut 2 wires off the plug & extend them & connect to the T plug that goes to the alt.,[forgot the color of the 2 wires u cut-im old], youll need a new fan belt too. Can get that # today & post. Heres a pic after i ran the 2 new wires...seee upper R of pic connectors]...finger is next to the 2 i cut & extended...

7-2newaltwiring.jpg

a better pic of the wiring & i also had to zip tie the lower rad. hose out of the way...& it clears the idler arm by 1/2 inch or so...

7-2newaltwiring.jpg

& the 2 alts....cost $75 @ Kragen [shucks]...

7-2oldnewalts.jpg

7-5newaltclearence.jpg

Edited by Pacific coast Datsun
put same pic up twice..doh!