Freaky's new 411

LeDevil

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO like all project they gt bigger and bigger lol

now last night my engine builder came buy tune my 510 for the race this weekend and came up wit the idea to put the old race motor in the 411 with a 5speed ............... sounds like a kick ass idea but will it fit??? so if any of you Datsun gurus know how tall a 411 motor is compaired to a l20b that would help a lot or if any of you have done this before please please show some pick and tell me/us how you did it.

I know the motor mounts and crossmember will need to change but thats why I bought one to hack up lol yes this crossmember is out of a diffrent 411 so i can retain all the stock stuff if i ever sale or decide to change back HA see i did something right for once lmao

I've only posted about it a zillion times. Yeah, I'm tired 'n' cranky. Whatever....Here's the motor. Note that the stock J radiator inlet/outlets are opposite of L thus the "creative" hose runs. There's also a shelf that stops you from using a 510 radiator. Something custom would be best. You also have to cut off the water pump fan and use a pusher electric.

engine.jpg

The PO who did the swap did a real hack job, i.e. sawzalled the J-motor mounts off and part of the front crossmember (to clear the L oil pan), then fabbed motor mounts from angle iron (real professional):

motor_mount0002.jpg

The engine was not put low enough resulting in hacking the hood (with the latch mechanism, so just using hood pins) for the L-motor valve cover bump:

hoodhole1.jpg

and didn't tilt the motor so the carb doesn't sit level (great for even fuel dispersion...NOT!) and the tranny mount is twisted/torqued:

tranny_mount.jpg

So, yes, an L-motor will fit, just don't do it half-assed. Once I have the roadster roadworthy, I plan on pulling the L to redo the mounts properly plus add a 5-speed. Also have W53 head and dual SU's to replace the W58 and Weber, but that'll be later.

Pete

I've only posted about it a zillion times. Yeah, I'm tired 'n' cranky. Whatever....Here's the motor. Note that the stock J radiator inlet/outlets are opposite of L thus the "creative" hose runs. There's also a shelf that stops you from using a 510 radiator. Something custom would be best. You also have to cut off the water pump fan and use a pusher electric.

The engine was not put low enough resulting in hacking the hood (with the latch mechanism, so just using hood pins) for the L-motor valve cover bump:

hoodhole1.jpg

So, yes, an L-motor will fit, just don't do it half-assed. Once I have the roadster roadworthy, I plan on pulling the L to redo the mounts properly plus add a 5-speed. Also have W53 head and dual SU's to replace the W58 and Weber, but that'll be later.

Pete

thank you for posting this !!! the new search sucks i have learned to look before i ask :D

so if i knoch my crossmember to allow the motor to sit lower i wouldnt have to knotch the hood. hmmmm but i dont think the xmeber would hold up with the air bag flexing. i will have to do some looking now i got my hoist back and i have to pull the motormaybe i will dangle a l motor in there and do some checking

So with the purchase of the 521,and needing the L motor for it i will hold off until later to try to figure out a swap.

So i spent most the day cleaning the cross member, unfortunately the hot tank was closed today :mad: so it will have to wait until Monday to get dipped. So tomorrow i hope to pull the motor and get the spindles ready with the disc swap,so all i would have to do is paint it up and bolt it together.

with the motor out i will run the air lines and do up the brake lines and hopefully :sweat: it goes well and iam not cutting any corners on this trying to rush. The whole lack of welder and a cross member to cut up was a task to find. now with the hard part done it should go smoothly

and oh yea a neighbor is parting out a BMW and i grabbing the interior ????

so clean clean clean i go damn my hands burn from all the chemicals lol going to drop off the crossmember today didnt get the motor pulled the wife gave me the honey do list (to bad she wasnt o it). So I will pull the motor tonight and power wash it and hope to have it painted tomarrow. then i will clean up the engine bay and maybe a coat of paint.I hate it thast this has taken so long i kind of forgot where i was lmao but its going

so clean clean clean i go damn my hands burn from all the chemicals lol

wear some rubber gloves next time, they will keep your hands nice and soft and pretty for the little woman.... :P

So last night i re did the back seat,it turned out pretty good for never doing this type of thing before. My helper flaked out on me :crying: :hmm: I had to go buy a new jack and stands,This car is trying to kill me this would be the second time it has fell on me and damn that shit hurts nothing like the rear end sitting on your chest,thank god I am a skinny guy or i don't think i would be writing this :ninja:

So today should be the day I get to put it all back together I am just scared to crawl under it alone :blush: :rofl: :w00t: :frantics:

no really