"White Zombie" Datsun 1200

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a segment on Oregon Field guide that show on OPB. They showed him putting a new battery pack in and running in the 10s now.

I have been tripping on electric cars for a couple years now. There is tons of cool stuff like this out there. Posts about EVs come up randomly in other threads, maybe I will start a new thread.

Specs here:

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

I wonder if a 2 speed trans would help his top end?

lol it has a 2 speed motor and its direct drive it runs off a dial for forward and reverse :eek:

cut and paste baby[

Drivetrain: Direct drive (no transmission, clutch, or flywheel). Electric reverse. Custom aluminum driveline by 'Inland Empire Drivelines', 'Dutchman Motorsports' heavy duty 'Street Strip' rear setup with Dutchman 31 spline racing axles, Aluminum 'Strange' Ford nine inch differential with Detroit Locker, lead acid version uses 'Richmond Gear' ring and pinion @ 4:11 ratio, lithium ion version uses 'Strange' ring and pinion @ 3:70 ratio, custom made traction bars. Thanks to Dutchman Motorsports and Inland Empire Drivelines for their support.

lol it has a 2 speed motor and its direct drive it runs off a dial for forward and reverse :eek:

cut and paste baby[

Drivetrain: Direct drive (no transmission, clutch, or flywheel). Electric reverse. Custom aluminum driveline by 'Inland Empire Drivelines', 'Dutchman Motorsports' heavy duty 'Street Strip' rear setup with Dutchman 31 spline racing axles, Aluminum 'Strange' Ford nine inch differential with Detroit Locker, lead acid version uses 'Richmond Gear' ring and pinion @ 4:11 ratio, lithium ion version uses 'Strange' ring and pinion @ 3:70 ratio, custom made traction bars. Thanks to Dutchman Motorsports and Inland Empire Drivelines for their support.

I know...I posted the link. It's not a "2 speed motor" though, it's 2 motors joined at the hip and switched from series to parallel wiring to change the input voltage at each motor so that they'll spin faster.
I know...I posted the link. It's not a "2 speed motor" though, it's 2 motors joined at the hip and switched from series to parallel wiring to change the input voltage at each motor so that they'll spin faster.

uuuhhh isnt that a second speed if your going 5000and flipa switch and now your doing 10000 i would think that would be uuuuhhhmm a second:rolleyes:

uuuhhh isnt that a second speed if your going 5000and flipa switch and now your doing 10000 i would think that would be uuuuhhhmm a second:rolleyes:
Not really in the typical sense, at least not to me. Seems it's like saying a honda engine is a 2 speed because it makes max torque at 5000rpm (~series motors) but max horsepower at 7000rpm (~parallel motors). Maybe a lot of thought has gone into it, I don't know...I don't have a background in DC motor theory.

A series wound DC motor (field and armature windings are in series) is good for torque but has poor speed control. Classic example is your car's starter motor.

A shunt wound DC motor (field and armature windings are in parallel) has great speed control and a rather linear torque-speed curve with great no-load speed control, but poor starting torque.

A compound DC motor uses both with a varying shunt percentage to balance the starting requirements with the speed control requirements.

This is rather simplified, but will hopefully help.