510 headlight problem...

Over the weekend I was working on a 69 4 door. It was a wiring nightmare! Not one thing worked! I got the wipers, running lights alt. And oil presure light working. I was having problems with the headlights, the low beems worked but the brights didn't.... we after doing a few continuity test I found that someone had cut the wires to the brights! I butt connected them. Then I was not getting the switched ground from the column. It turns out there is a little tab that hits a grounding plate when the brights are applied. It was completely burned off. I replaced it. So I figured the brights had to work.... nope..... and it blowed out a fuse everytime I hit the hi's. I could not find a wiring diagram that said it was for 69. I relized the hi beam circuit is much different than the 70 models. On the 70 models the hi beams get there ground through 2 ground wires (black). On the 69 they get grounded through the switch (red with yellow strip).

So I rate myself about an 8 in the wiring department. Even though I burned the dash harness out of my moms car one.... wupps... I was a junker anyways. Okay.... I thought to myself I will just redo the relay since its not the right one and all them ones we have are for a 70's and up.... at least that's my theroy. I only swapped 2 wires and they work perfect! I just want to know what is going on with the different headlight relays? Has anyone had the same problem?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard the the stock 68 wiring is total crap and that alot of guys just replace it with a later harness to avoid the problems.

this one is a 69 though

Connect a test light between the pos cable and the batt post...it'll light up if there's a short. Start disconnecting stuff in the light circuit until it goes out. Saves blowing fuses trying to figure it out.