75 620 bumper

i could use a 620 rear bumper, in almost any condition, really doesnt matter if its got some rust, if it does it will just get painted body color anyways. ill need the mounts too, some idiot mounted a huge checkerplate tow bumper on my rig.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no bumpers for the rear of a 620 that I know of. There are a few places offering filler panels to go in between the tail lights.

A couple guys on here put the earlier 521 bumperettes on their 620s but it looks kinda funny if you ask me :P

The step bumpers were (are) required by law- had to have something that met FMVSS standards after 1970. That's why you see a lot of 521s with common-look diamondplate bumpers, since the earlier bumperettes did not meet federal standards.

Dealers were obligated to provide them, but the factory was not. Some States allowed dealers to allow buyers to opt out, but in those cases you had to sign a waiver stating you would install your own bumper.

My folks did just that when they bought their '73, but never installed a bumper. I stuck a step bumper on it in 1993 off a truck I had that wasn't roadworthy, but thought it ugly. Before I got a chance to remove it, my Dad got rear-ended. The Chevy Celebrity that hit him lost its whole grille, radiator, and hood, but the only damage to the truck was the step bumper got a bit bent. Without it, the bed (and the tailgate and taillights) would have been destroyed. So, I keep the big hurking bumpers on all my trucks. Plus I started using the tow ball on the step bumper for my small utility trailer (beats towing it with a 6-MPG F250)

Since it was up to the dealer to install said required bumper, they bought whatever they could get in bulk. It wasn't until the early 80s that Nissan standardized on a particular supplier for DOT-approved bumpers.

That was still the case even into the early 90s... My Mom was looking for a replacement pickup and the Mazda B2200 base-model didn't have a bumper from the factory, but you could get the dealer-installed ($$$) one or sign a waiver. A lot of folks signed the waiver- you still see B-series and Toyotas (pre-Tacoma) running around with the rubber fill panels where the brackets were supposed to go. The cops can, and do, pull foils over for not having a proper bumper, though it's not common. The 620 has a small advantage in that the taillight housings "look" like bumpers because they're not painted from the factory, but I've heard of folks getting harassed by cops who know they aren't and are in a snit.

well i was talking aboot the rear bumpers, and up here its not law to have a rear bumper, just law to have the front, i know i work for the cops as a mechanic! ive seen the bumperets, and was thinking of taking those, and turning them into a rear roll pan kinda thing. i just didnt know that they didnt come without one. i just really really really hate that dang 400# checker plate thing.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

I've got a homemade diamond plate bumper that looks like it would add another 3 inches of lift to my rake if I removed it. I've seen those huge, blocky step bumpers that stick off the rear ends like Bubba Gump's lower lip, but it isn't one of those. I dont want it, and would be willing to give it away. I'll be looking to make a rear roll pan soon after.

• 2 weeks later...

my truck has 1 of those disgusting bumpers on it. but it is useful.

even still I have thought about removing it and building a rear hitch that is hiden behind the tag. maybe move the tag out flush with the tail lights and get a rear tag frame from an Oldsmobile or something that had the fuel tank filler behind the tag. flip the tag down, put in the reciever and your towing.

so I am on my way to a job last week and a cop gets on my ass. I am thinking, I know I am not speeding. 1.6L ya know. seat belt is on. what gives. Ah how I wish those were Christmas lights..

You know why I pulled you over? ahh.. No! I couldn't read your tag #.

ahh.. Why.. because it is in front of your bumper. ahh.. yeah.. that is where mister Datsun put the mount for it... Yeah well mr. datsun didn't put that bumper on there. So you got 2 choices. 1 put the tag on the bumper. or 2. take off the bumper and get pulled for no rear impact device.

Have a Nice Day!

Can you believe that crap?

So I am wondering now if I do my hitch idea. Will that count as a rear impact device? I mean you won't ever see it but if you hit it, it's on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.