1971 datsun 510 wagon project with a ford 8 inch rear - need driveshaft advice

I just acquired a 1971 Datsun 510 wagon project/basket case and the vehicle has i believe a ford 8 inch rear. i mostly play/tinker with stock or near stock vehicles so when something like this (basket case/Frankenstein) comes my way i tend to be overwhelmed with questions in my head. 

My 2 main questions would be

+what driveshaft can i use for a L16 engine with a four speed trans and a 8 inch ford rear posi-gear? 

+do i need to change or find additional parts to make this conversion complete?

I want the car to drive at her own power but at the moment i am searching for a few main parts.

if there is any information that i missed out to type here to help with my search let me know. I can always try to provide it here.

I did open a classified ad in the wanted section but got no hits as of yet

PS. If anyone has a stock driveshaft for the 71 Datsun wagon let me know as i am interested in purchasing. I am located in the NYC area.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it had stock rear end then that would be easy. It's a bastard so you'll have to measure this yourself and have a driveshaft made to fit. It will also need a U joint that will mate to the Ford pinion flange.

A stock 510 wagon drive shaft is 48 7/8" long

• Like 2