Brake Hell

I am having the worst time getting the brakes on my 1964 L320 to work correctly

New shoes, drums, wheel cyclinders, Original rebuilt master

To adjust I put the car on a lift.  released the parking brake cable.  Tightened the adjuster until it couldn't be tightened any more, then backed off 12 clicks

I am getting a "knocking" sound, which is the adjuster sliding into the end of it's floating track.  

Earlier I had them adjusted tighter, but that seemed to make the knock worse.  Also the brakes would heat up and bind.  Even at the 12 click setting, the front right brake began to overheat and pull right.  I loosened it three more clicks, which remedied it, but still doesn't seem correct.

I am at a loss

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this happen to my 521 the  sliding adjuster the back clip lost it tension which bound to one side and thus cause my brake to heat up.

I think I swaped the tension clips around then worked of thater that. I put a little anti seize the the adjuster to the back plate. then drove fow and backward hopefully to center its self.  Then seem to work fine

the adjuster doesnt really go bad. just clean the threads and they work but mine was the spring looking  2 prong clips

2 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I had this happen to my 521 the  sliding adjuster the back clip lost it tension which bound to one side and thus cause my brake to heat up.

I think I swaped the tension clips around then worked of thater that. I put a little anti seize the the adjuster to the back plate. then drove fow and backward hopefully to center its self.  Then seem to work fine

the adjuster doesnt really go bad. just clean the threads and they work but mine was the spring looking  2 prong clips

I know what you mean.  Everything has been replaced or cleaned and lubricated.  This is so strange