Wiring harness for a 1971 510

2002jm

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have an old harness or is yours completely gone?

If you have something to work with, try Vintage Connections online. I have fixed/repaired several harnesses using their stuff.

• Like 1

Which harness specifically?  I had a 71 510 race car and I think I still have the engine room harness.  I think the rear chassis harness stayed in the car, and I modified the dash harness so that one I don't have whole.

If your 510 is actually a 1971 model year (should be if titled as such), you can use a LATE 1970-1972 2dr 4dr or Wagon ENGINE COMPARTMENT harness.  If your car is a 1971 2dr or 4dr SEDAN, you will need a late 1970-1972 Sedan DASH & TAIL HARNESS................the Wagon DASH & TAIL HARNESSES are different.

The 1968 sweeper speedo dash harness is one on its own

The 1969 sweeper speedo dash harness is one on its own

The EARLY 1970 (first 6mo's of round gauges) is one on its own

The late 1970-1972 is basically the same

The 1973 (illuniminated switches) I think can be used, but will have redundant (illumination) wiring

The Wagon dash & tail harnesses are WAGON ONLY & follow the same year applications/differences

The engine compartment harnesses are the hardest to find in good usable condition, as they were out in the weather & got hacked up by bad mechanics!

All three harness sections originally had a white plastic part # tag, but almost all of the engine compartment harnesses are MISSING this tag, cuz it was located right beneath the radiator, so it got the brunt of the weather!

Edited by yenpit

The universal ones aren’t to bad to install.

I rewired both my 510 and my 620 with the American Autowire kits.

A few quirks to work through but very doable. Just get the big colored wiring diagram and either get it printed at staples or print it on two sheets and tape em together so it’s easier to read.

Just remember wiring is pretty simple- power and ground.