Rebuilding L20b and need pistons!

Draker

I’ve dropped an L20b at the machine shop to find out what needs done. I know at a minimum it’ll need pistons due to a ring ridge at the top of all cylinders. I’m guessing 40 over? The problem is the machine shop is unable to locate replacements. 

I’ve done some digging (Jason grey post) and found some potential options from an L28 at 86mm. Maybe something from a z20. My problem is really sourcing the pistons.. seems like everything has dried up, including rock auto. eBay is looking promising, but quality seems like a big question mark?? 

The goal for this motor is to just be reliable. minor performance gains are appreciated, but not looking for a high compression build. More displacement is good, slightly higher compression is also fine. Not looking to be a race fuel build.

any recommendations, or parts sources?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 over is 1mm or 86mm or same as the L28 pistons. You could use used L28 if in good shape. L28 from the 280z and '79 and '80 280zx were almost the same dish as the L20B. '81-'83 280zx were flattop. On an over bored L20B that's 10.11 compression

Z20 pistons are the wrong pin height. Too short. There are 2 Z20 pistons the least worse would produce a 7.8 compression and worse if dished.  However.... Z20E 1mm over size and Z20E rods would work perfectly and produce just over 10 compression.

• Like 1

Those with the dish might be for the turbo 280zx. I think the regular zx L28 are flattop. The dished ones would be closer to the L20B piston.

All 4 and 6 cylinder L series have the same distance from the center of the piston pin to the top of the piston. All you need is the correct bore diameter to match your L20B. Standard L20B bore is 85mm so if going over size get 1mm larger (86mm) L20B or standard L28 six cylinder pistons also 86mm. I suppose you could even go to 1mm over size L28 (87mm) if you want.

Yes over size often come in smaller 0.5mm (85.5mm) but if having the block machined might as well go to the max.

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Really, the machine shop couldn't find pistons? Wow!

Yeah.. and I’m struggling as well. Looks like the either they are no longer being made or it’s a supply chain issue.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Really, the machine shop couldn't find pistons? Wow!

2 hours ago, Draker said:

Yeah.. and I’m struggling as well. Looks like the either they are no longer being made or it’s a supply chain issue.

Maybe it's the machine shop.

• Like 1

Draker, I use L18 pistons 85 mm dia. 4.36 cc dish, same pin ht, bore diameter and configuration as your L20B pistons (11.36 cc dish); but with 7 cc less dish volume. Your choice over overbore diameters. Raises the compression ratio in an amount in accordance with which head you use. Crunch the numbers and you'll see what I am talking about. I built this configuration in my RWD 721 about 15 yrs ago. SU's, header with L20B stock cam. It ran strong as my utility/daily run-around truck. It would haul a bed-full of dirt without trying. I had tuned the SU needles using my drill press and fine sandpaper to configure the mixture control. It was a painstaking process and I used various tensions of damper springs and fluids to get the throttle response and mixture optimal for the rpm I needed to use the engine at. I got it pretty close. But that would have been a lot easier if wide-band O2 sensors had been readily available back then. One of my kids totaled the truck and I sold it as-is. The intake manifold was broken and one of the SU's was hanging there. The engine block/head were probably still salvageable. That engine may still be running in something up here in WA.

The L18 SSS pistons were flat top 85 mm with valve pockets iirc. But with the longer stroke (86 v. 78) of the L20B the flat top c.r. would be too high for the street. But the stock configuration L18 US engines had a mild dish and are useful in a street L20B engine.

I'm working on a completely different approach with piston head shape/closed combustion chamber head configuration for L4 and L6 engine builds. It will be a while before I put it together but it has potential.

Best of luck.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, RetroRocket said:

Draker, I use L18 pistons 85 mm dia. 4.36 cc dish, same pin ht, bore diameter and configuration as your L20B pistons (11.36 cc dish); but with 7 cc less dish volume. Your choice over overbore diameters. Raises the compression ratio in an amount in accordance with which head you use. Crunch the numbers and you'll see what I am talking about. I built this configuration in my RWD 721 about 15 yrs ago. SU's, header with L20B stock cam. It ran strong as my utility/daily run-around truck. It would haul a bed-full of dirt without trying. I had tuned the SU needles using my drill press and fine sandpaper to configure the mixture control. It was a painstaking process and I used various tensions of damper springs and fluids to get the throttle response and mixture optimal for the rpm I needed to use the engine at. I got it pretty close. But that would have been a lot easier if wide-band O2 sensors had been readily available back then. One of my kids totaled the truck and I sold it as-is. The intake manifold was broken and one of the SU's was hanging there. The engine block/head were probably still salvageable. That engine may still be running in something up here in WA.

The L18 SSS pistons were flat top 85 mm with valve pockets iirc. But with the longer stroke (86 v. 78) of the L20B the flat top c.r. would be too high for the street. But the stock configuration L18 US engines had a mild dish and are useful in a street L20B engine.

I'm working on a completely different approach with piston head shape/closed combustion chamber head configuration for L4 and L6 engine builds. It will be a while before I put it together but it has potential.

Best of luck.

yeah I would consider going this route but l18 pistons are hard to come by these days.  They’re a good option! 

• Like 2