510 steering center link - New, Made in Japan 555 $20

obrut

I bought one of these for my 72 510 https://www.ebay.com/itm/380328219994

It says its for the later 510s but judging from the pictures it looks like the right one.  I got it and and compared it to the one on my car and it is the same but is about 1/2" shorter in the overall length.  It does say made in Japan and 555 on it.  Is his listing wrong or is there something I'm missing?  If its the right one then it seems like a really good deal.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Misleading statement in the explanation.  Appears it fits the A10 (later 510) where they say the 1974-on PL510, which is not accurate.   H6200 would not usually be a PL510 number series unless superseded later.

You have installed it, but if it's shorter it changes the sweep of the steering box.  Also your tie rods assemblies will need to be longer. Not sure how this would affect on-center feel of the steering if the gear box and idler arm are not pointed straight ahead at static position.

If shorter then the pitman and the idler arm are turned in towards each other slightly. If turning right the left wheel will turn faster and further than the idler arm side wheel. If left the opposite would be true. Ive adjusted the steering toe in and even the slightest adjustment makes huge differences in the steering on the road. Only time the steering would be normal is straight ahead.

You could shim the steering box and the idler arm away from the sides of the frame to get them both parallel to each other.

Bump steer is controlled by the length of the tie rod vs the length of the control arm. If the tie rod is longer than the control arm, you are going to get bump steer. Toe out in this case. Might be worth while to take a few measurements to see if your toe changes during the suspension cycle. Easy enough to do without the springs on place.

If I can get in the attic tonight I'll get my stock one down and double check the lengths again. I wasn't thinking about the length being the fit issue. I thought the angle of the tie rods to the steering box ball joint or the tapper or hole size.

Edited by obrut