Distributor woes

billyd

1984 Nissan 720 base 2 wheel drive short bed z24 engine 5 speed

Why is it when I type in my truck the engine and a distributor It shows me a thousand different distributors with the four wire distributor cap on it is that the same distributor I just need to swap my cap and rotary button to it or the or they different I'm trying to find a cheap distributor and it drives me crazy when I Google something and Google won't take me where I want to go so I come to ask you guys and gals

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nissan may have them at the dealer but they are about 1/2 this at NAPA for similar quality.

22162-06W03 is the '84 distributor cap number from Nissan. Maybe $15-$20? The little carbon buttons are on the underside of the cap.

22157-06W03 is the Nissan rotor part number for the '85 720. Maybe $8-$10? Use these numbers and go to NAPA or some other auto parts store.

Don't go for the cheapest part. For ignition, quality should be first choice to avoid a breakdown later that will cost you way more than what you save.

• 3 weeks later...

You can thank the Clean Air Act, the EPA and other government entities.

The distributor is a big part of emissions control back then, via it's mechanical advance curve map and the vacuum advance/retard curve map. There was 3 classes of emissions regulations then: 49 state, high altitude and California. Then you had automatic and manual transmissions which usually used different distributors. Often times manufacturers did mid year changes. Lots of different #, that are usually just in the advance weights/springs and the vacuum canisters. I can't see them changing the cap and rotor though.