80 Datsun truck for sale on Ebay.

Thomas Perkins

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That truck is an extreme example of a survivor. Not saying it is worth that much but near impossible to find another example. A restoration can look as good but paint can hide a lot of sins so it is not the same thing. It depends how bad you want to relive your youth because the person that buys this will have most likely had one when they were young and have an emotional connection with the 720s. I have had mine since I was 17 and I am 51 now. Still feel young driving it. My only question now is reliving those days in my mind does thinking about those 16 year old girls make me a pervert?

14 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

That truck is an extreme example of a survivor. Not saying it is worth that much but near impossible to find another example. A restoration can look as good but paint can hide a lot of sins so it is not the same thing. It depends how bad you want to relive your youth because the person that buys this will have most likely had one when they were young and have an emotional connection with the 720s. I have had mine since I was 17 and I am 51 now. Still feel young driving it. My only question now is reliving those days in my mind does thinking about those 16 year old girls make me a pervert?

Naw, you were already a pervert 😆

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

My only question now is reliving those days in my mind does thinking about those 16 year old girls make me a pervert?

Hard not to in say, a Catholic or Japanese school girl uniform? tanned legs in contrasting white knee socks, starched white shirts with ties, long hair tied with ribbons bouncing along with her pleated skirt as she climbs the stairs above you? Looking might make you an ogler but pervert is more than mere looking and as yet no one can read your mind so I'll leave you to your private lecherous thoughts.  

• Like 1

Super clean!  Honestly kind of looks like its been re-painted but I'm not really a paint guy so I don't really know!  She's a beauty though!  I love that the owner actually took the time to take a ton of important pics and really document the condition.  Priceless if you are asking a lot.  Drives me crazy to see someone asking a lot for a car with 2 low res pics from far away... 

Yep. Some dingleberry is going to see this and think they are sitting on a gold mine. Never mind its rusty and won't start. I pay very little for non running equipment. Ran when parked, just needs a battery or ignition module or whatever horseshit reason given for not giving a demo ride. Or "all you need to do is apply for a lost title". Lost title in Florida is $400 through an agency so let's take that off the top. Then they want to argue a about it. If not mentioned in the ad my first question is " clean title in hand?" If not yes I move on. It will be interesting to see what this goes for. As much as people whine about the economy it seems there are plenty of people out there to blow cash on toys.

Yes,it does look like it has been repainted.I had a guy yesterday come up to me while I was pumping gas,he had a big motor home and was pulling a newly jeep,and said,nice truck,is that new,I said no,he ask me what year it was,I said 85,he said do want to sell it and stared at it for a minute,and I said no and he said said,nice truck again,not many days go by when someone ask about my truck or stares at it.Wanna see a great paint job...27 Grand would not get this,this is a keeper... nGbBIbl.jpgfpw2bZn.jpgte8cLOC.jpg349CJl2.jpgUz4CrND.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 2

If it’s a respray, they took great pains to do it. There are a couple of areas that make me wonder, like the two tags on the radiator support, is there overspray, everything around it says no. I can’t zoom in on it well enough to see. Also the latches for the tailgate on the bed, hard to tell, again I can’t see it well enough. Either way, beautiful truck. Wouldn’t mind having it, but not for $27,000.

• Like 1

Factory had overspray, or more accurately, less than full coverage on the undersides of the cab and bed. Or it could just be dirty. My guess is that if you pressure washed the underside, you'd see more paint.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports

I would say that it has been repainted,cause parts are already painted and just put on the frame.No way in hell,is a 43 year old truck not going to have a single scratch on it with a rusted exhaust system.Also,they don't put that sticker unleaded fuel only on the paint,would go on the inside where you put gas in it.No such thing as painting it after truck is put together.If it was,why are them screws on the tail gate not painted.Not a good painter with that over spray.My truck was painted not long ago and it has no over spray or taping that shows sign of repainted.They unloosed my bed and pulled back to paint behind the cab,they remove both bumpers,all lights,all glass.It was completely sanded and body work done completely,it had a key mark from driver door to the back and a crease mark,was like that when I bought it,they fixed it.I gave them a brand new grill to put on.I put the 4x4 stickers on it,it had some and they got them off.If you were to look at it close up,you would think it is a brand new truck.They painted both mirrors,the rear window frame,all 4 wheel plastic pieces.Open up the hood and they painted the inside by the quarter panels black.Every outside light lens is brand new,head lights are too.He states the paint is Cherry red paint,which the sticker on the truck says paint is number 807,which is Rallye Red.He also stated this maintance,with only 25,000 miles,why would it need this,sounds fishy to me,rebuilt the carb,right.Probably totaled and restored.Recent maintenance in past year includes a rebuilt carburetor, new battery, new water pump, coolant flush, fan clutch, thermostat, belts, valve cover gasket and NGK plugs

Edited by Thomas Perkins

From all the reviews I guess he flips them? Unless he owned it since new he can't say for sure if it was original paint he can only parrot what he's been told. That said I could care less if original or not. New paint is totally fine except for that clear coat bullshit..

• Like 1

The benefit is knowing exactly what you're getting, no ands, ifs, or buts about it. They can say "just a respray" all they want, but the fact is people are liars. You won't know if there is a pound of Bondo covering a mountain range of slide hammer "body work" lurking...everywhere.

1 hour ago, thisismatt said:

The benefit is knowing exactly what you're getting, no ands, ifs, or buts about it. They can say "just a respray" all they want, but the fact is people are liars. You won't know if there is a pound of Bondo covering a mountain range of slide hammer "body work" lurking...everywhere.

People lie and people may also believe that they are saying is true even though it's wrong. Only way to know is you look for yourself.

I give people the courtesy of trusting their word, but that doesn't mean I'm a stupid buyer.  Looking at that truck, I feel that the paint is representative of an original, well kept 40 year old truck. Shiny? Yes, but all tell-tale signs show it's original.

FWIW - he said he'd take $22k...which means he'd take $18, which in my opinion, isn't too far off for an original survivor of any odd duck classic vehicle.