Half Shaft to Diff Yoke Spline Wear

SantaCruz510

Was changing out the u-joints on the half shafts on my 510 and noticed the wear on the splines that go into the diff. What are your thoughts on the amount of wear? Does it seems excessive and in need of changing out?

P0UBiOL.jpg

Also, any ideas from which vehicle these half shafts came from? Thought they were from a 260z, however the sleeve yoke plugs are pressed in place rather than retained with some snap rings as the diagram of the 260z FSM shows.

tFLVdVe.png

grvdWcf.jpg

Thank you all!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, will jack the car up this weekend and check the diff end. Hopefully the diff is in better shape.

Its got an L20b hooked up to it with a 5 speed transmission. No idea from where the previous owner got those components.

Not much mods are on the car, guessing the HP are still in the low 100HP.

I should imagine the splines engage the side gear splines. 

Odd wear pattern... any chance the sliding shaft compresses all the way forcing the 'side yoke' into the differential bottoming it out?

Only other thing that comes to mind is severe hp/torque being transferred. maybe previously. Is this differential from another vehicle?

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

I should imagine the splines engage the side gear splines. 

Odd wear pattern... any chance the sliding shaft compresses all the way forcing the 'side yoke' into the differential bottoming it out?

Also another good point, I'll check if somehow the yokes are being forced into the diff causing part of the wear. As for the wear due to the rotational loading, as you pointed out, must have been due to the previous vehicle they were on.

Not sure what vehicle the diff came out of, I have notes saying its an R180 3.545 from a 280z, I'll have to take another look.

R-180? Definitely from something capable of more torque than an L16. 3.545 is not a very spirited set of gears for a small L16.

Confirm the ratio by raising one rear wheel off the ground leaving the other on the ground so it can't turn. Mark the drive shaft and the tire. Turn the tire precisely  2 turns while having someone count the drive shaft turns in response. Three and a half turns will confirm 3.545. Proving 3.7 or 3.889 depends on the accuracy of your marks and turns. Just over 4 would be 4.11. 

I doubt it's an LSD but if you can't turn the wheel raise the other tire off the ground and turn the tire only one turn.

On 1/24/2023 at 7:03 AM, datzenmike said:

R-180? Definitely from something capable of more torque than an L16. 3.545 is not a very spirited set of gears for a small L16.

Confirm the ratio by raising one rear wheel off the ground leaving the other on the ground so it can't turn. Mark the drive shaft and the tire. Turn the tire precisely  2 turns while having someone count the drive shaft turns in response. Three and a half turns will confirm 3.545. Proving 3.7 or 3.889 depends on the accuracy of your marks and turns. Just over 4 would be 4.11.

Thanks for the tip, I'll confirm the gear ratio this weekend.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:05 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

If the bolt comes loose and the stub is allowed to move around, the splines can wear like that.

Hmm, that makes sense, likely what might have caused it then if those half-shafts were never in a high HP machine.

I managed to take a few pictures of the diff side, happy to report that end looks fine. I'm only going to have to source those yokes.

qvlprML.jpg

JcyMEWq.jpg

aulhfsk.jpg

SW1YnIl.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Side gears look good.

The Datsun half shafts were a crappy design from the beginning. The huge amount of mass because of the slip yoke design and the use of u-joints instead of CVs made them vibrate at high speeds.

I would loctitie the bolts in place to help make sure they don't come loose again.