Front control arm washers, not just washers?

obrut

I'm starting to assemble my front suspension on my 72 510. I bought the car and it was partially disassembled.  Are the inner washers thicker and stepped or is it just a washer?  Outer just a washer?

I'm running stock arms with stock moog bushings.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are both specifically called 'special washer' but what makes them special I don't know. Must be important. Probably thick as they support the outside of the two bushings.

The one closest the front between the cross member and the LCA is 54537-A0800, the one to the rear is 54538-U0101 if that helps. 

27 minutes ago, iceman510 said:

Lower control arm or other?

yes lower control arm

14 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

They are both specifically called 'special washer' but what makes them special I don't know. Must be important. Probably thick as they support the outside of the two bushings.

The one closest the front between the cross member and the LCA is 54537-A0800, the one to the rear is 54538-U0101 if that helps. 

thanks Mike, I did a quick search but couldn't find them for sale anywhere.  If they are just washers I'll measure and find some but some of the pictures I see it looks like a spacer or maybe two washers stacked together.

Edited by obrut

If I recall correctly, the washers on the control arm side are stepped and serrated to grip the inside race of the control arm bushing, and I think the inside one has a special taper on the inside for the bolt.  I don't think the washer on the opposite (front) end is anything particularly special.  The bolt is very special, with a tapered shoulder on the control arm end that wedges into the tapered hole through the crossmember, locking it in place and giving it additional strength at the sheer point.

The one closest to the cross member is stepped. The one at the end of the pin has a "notch" in it.

I will look around later today. I think I may be able to get you some pics.

This is what I have arm.thumb.jpg.f834f548de5f38e48e2bdab306f7a2e3.jpg

When I bought the car the arms were held on with bungees so the car could roll.  Looks like I need the special inner washer, then slide control arm on then a washer with a notch and nylock nut.  If anyone has these special washers let me know, I'm going to put a post in the wanted section.

Edited by obrut
11 hours ago, Icehouse said:

I might have a pair of those washers if you need them.  

I sent Jeff a message, hopefully he has the washers, I think I should be able to buy new nylocs after i figure out what thread size they are.  I'll post some pictures of the washers when I get some so if someone else searches for pics in the future.

Posted this pic in your ad.

EAJP20G.jpg

I can get diameter and thread pitch from the pin tomorrow if needed.

Edited by KELMO
Edit: provided I can remove that stinkin' nut.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/18/2023 at 9:48 PM, DARIN 510 said:

The original does have nylock nuts. 
still available from Nissan.

front nut (small M12x1.25) 08912-34210

rear nut (big M14x1.5) - 08912-4441A

CB9998C3-A6D1-4583-A4D5-8B9B2D6D918C.jpeg

Thanks for posting the size and part numbers because I need these too.

• Like 2