Need relay locations/ID

DwayneOxford

'85 720, 2400 eng., auto trans, std. cab.
Orig. prob, no fire to fuel shut off solenoid, couldn't idle.
Solved by baring spot on red solenoid wire and soldering un-needed choke heater wire to it.
Runs OK now, key switch wont kill ignition.
Unplugged the black relay that's with the fuel pump control module and a brown relay and it turns off OK.
Anybody able to help?
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dwayne.Are you running a Weber.You may need a new idle cut off solenoid.I have had to replace a few on mine with new o rings.I don't use the Weber Redline  one's.I use the Empi-43-5350 one's with the large 0.155 big jet.To see if the idle cut off solenoid is working.Pull the red wire from it while it is running and engine will cut off.Also don't over tighten them and make them snug with the o ring.You are using the blue wire for the choke.If you buy the Empi one's,you will have to buy the o ring and jet separately.I did.I have tried to use a Weber Redline one and it wouldn't work.Also it could be something other than this.If your alternator is running weak,it could be that,or your battery or fusible link.If your alternator over charges it will cause all kinds of problems.Mine did and it made the relays under the glove box make clicking noises.Remember it's a 720 and anything is possible...

• Like 1
On 1/4/2023 at 4:48 PM, DwayneOxford said:
'85 720, 2400 eng., auto trans, std. cab.
Orig. prob, no fire to fuel shut off solenoid, couldn't idle.
Solved by baring spot on red solenoid wire and soldering un-needed choke heater wire to it.
Runs OK now, key switch wont kill ignition.
Unplugged the black relay that's with the fuel pump control module and a brown relay and it turns off OK.
Anybody able to help?

That ain't right. There should be no power to the choke heater with the ignition off, and besides it's only the idle cut which cut fuel to the idle circuit. If it keeps running then the ignition is still on causing spark to the plugs. 

'85.... does it have a 2 wire or 6 wire electrical plug at the back of the carburetor? There were two carburetors available.

Better to fix the no power to the idle cut.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DwayneOxford said:

Not knowing where FSO relay is, having fire to un-needed choke heater, I jumped it to FSO wire.

It's the 6 pin connector.

unplugged the black relay that's with the fuel pump control module and a brown relay and it runs and turns off OK.

This is the dreaded feedback carburetor. It's half way between carburetor and EFI.

• Like 1

I retook some with my phone,way clearer,but I have to load them to Imgur,but it somehow doesn't load them to from my phone.It loads them super fast from my computer but I use my blurry camera.Is this what you need,if not I will take more pics.The FSM is not a real detail picture book showing from the  actual motor or other detail pictures,just written out diagrams.Too me not a very good book.The other book's show you real pictures of our vehicles.Better to see the actual place and actual parts or relays.Book smart is so-so,but hands on and to actually see is the best.At times the pictures in the FSM is not the same as they really are.They use short cuts.The FSM book's are a short cut book.My Haynes is a better detail manual.It show's actual pictures of our 720's,not just diagrams.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

I retook some with my phone,way clearer,but I have to load them to Imgur,but it somehow doesn't load them to from my phone.It loads them super fast from my computer but I use my blurry camera.Is this what you need,if not I will take more pics.The FSM is not a real detail picture book showing from the  actual motor or other detail pictures,just written out diagrams.Too me not a very good book.The other book's show you real pictures of our vehicles.

28 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

000_0132.jpg

Don't look to be a relay for the fuel cut solenoid. Wonder if the EFC main relay works it or straight off keyswitch??

5 hours ago, Seven Two Oh No said:

Dwayne, I've got an electronic copy of the early '86 (pre-hardbody) FSM I can send you. Should have what you need for the '85

PLEASE do. easyo2003@yahoo.com. Unless you know a better way.

Dwayne,When you have your engine running,disconnect the idle cut off solenoid,if engine does not cut off,then your idle cut off solenoid is bad.Or be a Trump supporter and get a Weber....Yesterday was our Jan. 6 Anniversary,but Webers cost a lot now..Our Governor here in Georgia is giving us free money again.We have a 6.6 billion dollar surplus...We keep it Red,for the working people...Read this,,,,https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/georgia/articles/2023-01-05/kemp-and-lawmakers-to-decide-plan-for-6-6b-in-surplus-cash

Edited by Thomas Perkins