Flywheel specs?

tiny

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How chewed up is the starter ring? You can use the reverse side if in good shape. Tap round and round with hammer and a drift to remove. Place flywheel in freezer over night. Heat the ring with a torch and quickly assemble and tap into place. 

wayno has SD knowledge... https://ratsun.net/profile/5657-wayno/ ... Perhaps he knows someone who knows someone?

https://ratsun.net/classifieds/category/9-datsun-parts/

Won't be the teeth. That skipping is most likely to be the solenoid. New starter? These days rebuilt starters use the poorest quality parts and why they are so inexpensive to buy. 

Lisle 20750 Remote Starter Switch

Make or buy one of those hand held switches that you clip the the starter and the battery for bumping the engine over. Amazon has them... https://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-20750-Remote-Starter-Switch/dp/B0009OR98S/ref=asc_df_B0009OR98S/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=292944454766&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14126622556470054980&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001614&hvtargid=pla-567478261379&psc=1 ... not suggesting you buy one for a single use but just shows what I mean. Or run a wire from the small terminal on the starter solenoid to the battery positive. Make sure truck is out of gear. When you contact the positive battery post the starter will turn.  Does it turn every time? or does it skip every now and then??? If it does not help it's worth the try.

It it turns over every time then the start signal from the ignition switch is weak. This often happens with age and wear on 30+ year old vehicles. Give this a try and find out if this fixes your problem. If it does there is a simple fix that I won't go into just now.

In reassembling a flywheel ring gear I have had better luck freezing the flywheel while putting the ring gear on my charcoal grill.  The grill will heat the entire ring gear.

• Like 1

Oh lord, make sure that 'She-who-must-be-obeyed' is out of the house if doing this. 

This interference fit is why all FSMs warn against dropping a flywheel. Automatic rings are different somehow, I don't know why, only that they are welded to the flex plate. Maybe this is why there are automatic starters???