620 king cab

ANTONI

Hi everyone, I have a620 crew cab and I want to make it a king cab. The think is were I live this was not available and I cannot do it unless I find body parts to replace. My question is if there is somewhere I can get the part from the doors lock towards the end of the cab. If this 2pieces are available I will cut it and do swap. Any help would be great. Thanks!

• Confused 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That swap will possibly require a frame cut and weld. Datsunmike would know, or somebody more into frame dimensions than me. Or maybe a bed swap. The space between the cab and bed is what I am wondering about.  

Don

fourdoorbrochurewhite.jpg?resize=600%2C4

https://i0.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/CC-49-038-800.jpg

The crew cab frame is the same long wheelbase one used on the King Cab and the single cab long box but with an even shorter box. (tray) Check your wheelbase to confirm, should be 2,785mm or 109.6"

Substituting a KC for the double cab will leave a gap between it and the front of the box roughly equal to the length of the box forward of the front of the rear wheel on the green truck above.

You could...

1/ cut the front bulkhead from the box, extend the box forward with sheet metal and weld the bulkhead back on.

2/ find a King Cab or a short wheelbase box, which is exactly what the green truck has.

3/ section the frame just forward of the front leaf spring mount. Have a care as the join will be very close to the cab mount which is approximately half way between the back of the cab and the door jam on the green truck. The driveshaft will need shortening this amount also and because the differential is moved closer, the driveshaft will tilt down more, possibly interfering with a cross member just forward of these cab mounts.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

fourdoorbrochurewhite.jpg?resize=600%2C4

https://i0.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/CC-49-038-800.jpg

The crew cab frame is the same long wheelbase one used on the King Cab and the single cab long box but with an even shorter box. (tray) Check your wheelbase to confirm, should be 2,785mm or 109.6"

Substituting a KC for the double cab will leave a gap between it and the front of the box roughly equal to the length of the box forward of the front of the rear wheel on the green truck above.

You could...

1/ cut the front bulkhead from the box, extend the box forward with sheet metal and weld the bulkhead back on.

2/ find a King Cab or a short wheelbase box, which is exactly what the green truck has.

3/ section the frame just forward of the front leaf spring mount. Have a care as the join will be very close to the cab mount which is approximately half way between the back of the cab and the door jam on the green truck. The driveshaft will need shortening this amount also and because the differential is moved closer, the driveshaft will tilt down more, possibly interfering with a cross member just forward of these cab mounts.

Thanks for the pics! With those pics it is easy to see where the extra length of the frame/body is, in the bed.

Don

On 12/12/2022 at 10:20 PM, Bleach said:

Just sell the 4-door to someone in the USA. You'll be rich!

I'd happily trade my King Cab cab for your Quad cab, shipping cost would be killer though. Like Bleach said, offer that cab & doors for sale, quad cabs are the thing here.

As far as the frame goes, the wheelbase should be exactly the same (only 2 frame lengths were used as far as I know - regular cab shortbox, and regular cab longbox/KC shortbox the other) requiring only the relocating of the rear 2 cab mounts and 2 forward box mounts. The shortbox sides might be available but the box floor is probably not requiring some fabrication.

Between the 620 and 720 frames, they are almost 100% the same, and I believe the D21 is also the same dimensionally, with a few minor differences.

1974_Datsun_Pick-up Body & Frame Dimensions.pdf1980 720 Chassis & Frame Dimensions.pdf

Pretty sure the all cab mounts are in the same position. My KC cab fit onto a long box frame (reg. cab) bolted right up. The two forward box mounts on the long bet frame had to be cut off and welded on about 9" back.

Refer to the diagrams posted. The right front to the left rear cab mounts (measured diagonally) are both 2,350mm

45 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The two forward box mounts on the long bet frame had to be cut off and welded on about 9" back

As I did with mine. Based on that experience I suspect the quad cab would also require those mounts either moved further, or the rearmost cab mounts be modified.

I know I'd love to have a quad cab, even with the KC there isn't exactly an abundance of interior room.

I have actually only seen one of these Crew Cab 620's in person. While I do think they are cool the just aren't my cup of tea.

I agree on the 4DR vs Wagon (510), on the 4Dr the top of the "quarter window" seems about half the size of the one on the Wagon.

I may get out there today and measure the difference between the 2.

3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Has that ever stopped anyone before?

Would we be here otherwise? 🤑

105360404_CostaRicaCrewCab.thumb.jpg.ec042abcd9df1958e303db625930b2fb.jpg

Daring to be different sometimes...

YueLoong-YLN-753-Datsun-620-Wagon-SUV.jpg.7f03181d12c3ecee751b7b8f1ba96099.jpg

Same front sheet metal but doors missing the bullet line sadly.

Or once made for the Saudi market

1126819214_GreatWall6door2.jpg.88e2412061f3d1fb9f5c30bd8a5d9dab.jpg

OK so I have weird tastes 🤪

• Like 1

Depends where you are. In N America it's a station wagon. In Europe (or Britain at least) it's known as an estate car. I don't think they even exist. Nissan never made them.

If you ask me someone grafted a 620 front end onto a 610 wagon. The rear C? pillar finisher is identical

YueLoong-YLN-753-Datsun-620-Wagon-SUV.jpg.7f03181d12c3ecee751b7b8f1ba96099.jpg

EVENTS: Vintage Auto Salon, Part 03 – Bayline Cruisers | Classic japanese  cars, Datsun, Vintage cars

The yellow 620 "Estate" is actually a Chinese product. I have the brand name on my other laptop, if you really want to know.

Because you know, the Chinese have never copied anything before... 🤣

So then does that translate to repop panels possibly being available over there?

• Like 1

They made them over 45 years ago? Or was it a conversion 'kit'?

Repops used to come from Taiwan. I imagine they bought the old molds. The problem is the metal sheets were thinner and didn't form/stretch properly and they didn't fit very well. I remember some idiot trying to sell them as OEM or NO$ not in any way knowing what either term meant. It's JDM yo'. His pictures showed the date made (some time in the '80s) stenciled on the back side.