83' 4x4 z24 KK Various parts availability questions

musichoard

Hello fellow enthusiasts, I come to you with but a couple humble requests:

Obligatory Truck Photo

Received this in PDX a few months ago with a few ratsun stickers and an owner who had no idea what they were doing. Not that I know much better, but I do have a motorcycle repair side business and a garag. About 6yrs ago I had an 85 2wheel manual, no garage, and also had no clue. Every night since Mid October I've been going outside and knocking out things on the list. So i'm searching searching, I've poured through the Haynes manual, I've done a good amount of Youtube, and forum searching, but i'm just not getting clear enough answers for a few questions: 

ѻ Where can I find reasonably priced door weatherstripping? I've replaced the cab side, but not what surrounds the door. 

ѻ Are there any How to's on integrating LED lights to the stock switch system? My loose understanding is the truck is a hot ground, and the lights I'm using are hot positive. I know I can learn the magic world of relays and switches but I'd like the turn signal switch to work as intended so that all 4 lights come on for high beam. I'm currently stuck with 2 low/ 2 high.

ѻCan someone please tell me what this bushing is called? Mystery Body Bushing

ѻI have a weber currently. would it be worthwhile to the hobby to start collecting the necessary parts for a fuel injection swap? I found a nice link that lays out which years and models to scavenge from, but will it make that much of a difference on a truck this old? especially on a 4x4?

FOR ANYONE STILL READING: Would you like to see some of the work I've done?

Here's a graph to give you an idea of where I'm at so far

Started out with a gnarly oil leak. Turned out to be a ripped oil pump gasket.

Someone used 1.5 pitch lug nuts on 1.25 pitch studs. Found a wheel seal to replace along the way!

Distributor and plug wire swap was very calming

Several Radiator cracks led to a fancy Aluminum replacement

There were so many bad patch jobs. Like, someone cut the warning signal, added 1000 grounds, and went crazy with splitters.

The air system was the most tedious. Complete Dismantle and clean. As well, two of the switches wouldn't stay on so I had to drill the post out and make my own retaining mechanism.

Thanks for reading to those who did, My partner is absolutely sick of hearing about this thing. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1/ Can't help with the weatherstripping. I usually strip stuff off a truck in a wrecking yard.

2/ The 720 truck is negative ground. ALL headlights are powered when the headlight switch is on. Headlight high beams OR low beams are grounded through a relay that is activated by the dimmer switch. The outer pair of headlights have high and low beam filaments while high beams have only high beam filaments. On low beams only the outer two lamps are lit. When switched to high beams the low beam filaments turn off at the same time the high beam filaments turn on PLUS the two inner high beam lamps.

If the two outer lamps go dark when the two inner lamps turn on for high beams then...

a/ The high beam filaments in the outer lamps are both burned out OR

b/ Someone may have replaced the outer lamps with high beam single filament lamps by mistake.

Rectangular LED replacement head lamps should plug and play.

3/ mystery bushing name

One of the 6 cab body mount to frame rubber vibration isolators. Can't find the part number and very unlikely Nissan still has them. Pull from a wrecking yard (maybe from a Ford or similar) or find and make them (there are upper and lower) from similar material. Not that critical.

That lower radiator hose needs attention. It should not be kinked like that.

4/ The Z24i has throttle body injection. The late '86 720 and the '87-89 D21 Hardbody both had this. There are some parts of the 720 that won't work with the Hardbody system so it would be one or the other. You would need a high pressure fuel pump, the intake and the throttle body from a Z24i. All the wiring for the EFI into the cab plus the ECU box under the driver's seat. The Z24i exhaust manifold with the O2 sensor. A Z24i CAS crank angle sensor and the spindle that drives it inside the timing cover. It would be a monumental amount of work even if you had a complete Z24i 720 or D21 sitting there. It would start and idle better in cold weather and have slightly better mileage. Stick with the Weber.

Started out with a gnarly oil leak. Turned out to be a ripped oil pump gasket.  Oil pump is on the other side of the engine at the front. Looks like it might be the valve cover gasket that is leaking?

pEvwKzM.jpeg

If these are after market locking lugs they are probably for a Toyota, they have different threads than Nissan. Get rid of them.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful details, i will not be pursuing Injection after all. 

to belay any concerns, the lower radiator hose has been replaced. looks fantastic now. 

Haven't had a chance to look at the lights yet, but i'm leaning towards a wiring issue. Previous owner had hardwired lights and snipped the old ones. I may have reconnected them wrong, it's been known to happen.  

F8yleNy.jpg 

I'll make some rubber mounts at some point, good suggestion. 

Leaks - don't get me wrong, i'm not happy with how any of the gaskets look right now, but I was told it was the oil pump in the front, all the gaskets look the same, and there's no more leak. 

Nuts/Studs are now a mix of rockauto and autozone. As i take off each tire i'll be swapping them all to the same setup. 

Figured out the leak issues and no longer need door seals. It was the firewall grommet. For now I've added a custom umbrella until I get the nerve to feed an entirely new rubber grommet through there.