710 Differences

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

All 710 were rigid axle so why show it as a J in the first place?

The 610 has IRS and solid axles but it's not designated. So???

W........ wagon

K......... hard top

blank ..... sedan

Were there ever any 710s built for the Japanese market that had IRS? An SSS car? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mike, agree with you on the bodyside moldings, but with nice original paint I'm going to live with them for now. Opalbeetle, thanks for your link. Your pictures answered a number of questions for me. Think I'll plug the holes on the sills for appearance sake and to keep water out.

Edited by Randalla

I don't think so. The 710 was actually a scaled down model from the earlier 610. Which is an upscale next gen Bluebird like the 510. It came with L18 initially but was the first Datsun to get the new '74 L20B and even an L20 six cylinder that required a longer front end. There were SSS versions with dual SUs and a long dogleg 5 speed* also available in Australia. I think the earliest EFI was on a mid 70s JDM 610.

* this is why all 610s here are the only Datsun car with a long 31.5" F4W63s. This is the 4 speed used on the 521/510/710/A10 and S10 but come in 26" lengths.

I think that you have the short door cards, here's a crop of mine.  If you look close, you can see that there is a plastic trim piece around the door lock plunger.

It's too bad that you don't have the floor sill molding, that covers the seam, anchors the carpet and hides some wiring.  It was all plastic, you could probably get some from a similar car and trim the hell out of it to sort of work.

710win.png

• 3 weeks later...

I also own a 1975 710, mine is a base model 2 door sedan. When I say base model I am referring to the trim level, it does not have door sill's stock, NO wood grain dash, and NO console stock. I bought it as a stone stock little old lady car, not very stock now.

I am always on the hunt for parts, they are not as plentiful as for a 510. I do have some spare stuff but not that much interior, but I do have a set of stock front seats.

Edited by Abe Froman

The 610 had wood grain dash. The 710 had a wood grain dash option? News to me. I can't find anything for sedan hardtop or wagon as to trim level.

All appear to have consoles thought the sedan and wagon did have an optional style, the hardtop just the one. Without a console how does the vinyl shift boot secure to the floor?

Can't say about door sills. Neither of mine had them and I can't locate any reference to them The 610 has something called a 'kick plate' covering the sill. The carpet just tucks under the rubber door seal on my 710.

I'm not 100% sure as it's been a long time, but I think my 710 that didn't have a console had the rubber shifter boot with either a round or square metal ring that screwed into the tunnel

In fact, I think that I took the top of the 710 boot and glued it to the base of a trashed 620 boot trying to make a backup.  Pretty sure I still have it.

6 hours ago, Randalla said:

Thanks Mike. Wondered how I'd hide the carpet edges without sill moldings. Fortunately, my door rubber is in excellent condition. 

and that 's too bad as my left foot has kicked the rubber off the molding and it looks like hell. Oooh that reminds me I stripped a 710 and peeled the molding off several doors. I could see if it's in better shape or just cut out and replace the bottom part.

As to the 710 carpet it only covers the flat part of the floor. (I forgot this)

xble1F5.jpg

I used old carpet as a template to make new ones out of black carpet.

cWpejwz.jpg