1980 720 sleeper

Lonewolf1220

5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

but I remember seeing it at, I think, the Oakland roadster show.

I suspect this is a different build using the same or similar setup - this rod was local to me. I'm picking a couple buddies brains for more details as at least one of them knows more about the car than I can recall.

The SHO motor is quite narrow

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

The 5.7 toyota  motor is huge.  Out of curiosity, why dont you care for the 4.7 toyota v8?  My old man keeps whining he wants one in a corolla.  

The way I see it is that all EFI V8 swaps take about the same amount of time no matter what the engine is. The 4.7 is old tech and not very powerful, and similarly sized to an LS. So given the choice, I'd steer clear of the 4.7 2UZ and go LS.

I've considered the 3UZ, which makes a ton more power than the 2UZ, but they are CANBUS so a completely custom wiring harness would have to be made to use with a non standard ECM/ECU.

The 5.7 3UR engine is very impressive looking, and that would be the only reason I would ever use one, based on looks. Reliability factors in there, but let's be honest, when swapping in a DOHC V8, you really are going for wow factor.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, Lonewolf1220 said:

I appreciate saying 4 cylinder or v6 but I'm not looking to go small. I want to do something that is a challenge not something easy. I have seen people do LS swaps in them so I know going bigger than v6 can be done. The point of me wanting to do this build is to make something that looks slow on the outside but really is pushing 600+ hp minimum. So I'm wanting to know what others have done.

Nissan KA24DET fits in relatively easily and can easily be built to 600+hp reliably.  Most wouldn't know it isn't stock until you hit boost...  There are twin turbo kits and lot of aftermarket support.  Nissan 6 cyls fit fairly easily as well and also have tons of history and support for 600+hp

Any v8 with 600+ hp is going to be hard to hide.

In all due fairness and with all due respect, most people with the skill level required to stuff a v8 in a small frame like a 720 arent on forums asking what to do.  They grab their favorite version of LS and make it fit.

Edited by ShutterMeShort
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, ShutterMeShort said:

In all due fairness and with all due respect, most people with the skill level required to stuff a v8 in a small frame like a 720 arent on forums asking what to do.  They grab their favorite version of LS and make it fit.

I feel this is true for anyone wanting to do an engine swap period. Unless it's your first foray into swapping, and you're simply seeking guidance, there is no rule book for custom mods.

There are also three basic reasons you want to swap engines.

1 - reliability, mileage, daily driver

2 - just because

3 - wow factor

If you're in category 2 or 3, go for it and find out the hard way. If category 1, keep it simple. You'll be happier in the long run.

• Like 1