1982 720 heater core removal

ProJect

Update: solved and documented removal with photos and notes here: 

https://imgur.com/a/yQTQwN7

https://imgur.com/a/Y7V8QfL

Happy to give back to this amazing community, thanks again!!!

Hey guys! 

Tried my best finding an answer on my own but couldn't find anything relative to the 1979-1983 720.

Do I need to remove the entire dash to remove the heater core on this one? My manual is kind of incomplete on this section, doesn't really say.

Trying to save myself the hassle if I don't need to fully disassemble the dash.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ProJect
Added update and pictures
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No need to remove the ash.

Heater slide control ables can now be removed, even the one to the fan box.

Disconnect the plastic bellows hose between heater and fan

Drain the cooling system to below the heater and disconnect the two hoses from the heater core. Might be easier to warm the engine so they are soft.

There's a stud on the left and right side of the heater in the fire wall close to the floor and heater is secured with nuts. There is a bolt at the top back. Just the three fasteners.

Don't be surprised if I missed something.

The heater box splits vertically through the middle and is held together by spring clips, don't lose them.

• Thanks 1

4R6OVs9.jpgFunny Mike,if the 82 is like the 85.You have to lift the right side of the dash to get the heater core out.I have replaced. 3 of them.Now they are obsolete.That is why I got a custom made heating and air.Could not find another one.I was getting them from Auto Zone and the last one I took out,they gave me my money back cause they said they no longer could get them.The guy,Jack could not find one either,and that was a blessing cause he installed a custom made one and all the junk Nissan stuff is in the land field.When you put a after market heater core in,it doesn't fit in the heater box right and causes problems.You have to start at the blower motor and work your way to the heater core.Then the seals will need replacijQGIgk8.jpgng cause they will be dry rotted.The heater box and the a.c. box share the same stud,that is why the dash has to be lifted.I used a 2x4 to hold it up.No manual will tell you how to do it.All the heating and air switches have to be removed.You have to pretty much go in the same order as putting it back together.Guess what,never will have that issue again.It is a bitch,getting all the vents lined back up since the dash was lifted.See the green scrub pads i used to seal it.Here is a heater core I found one Ebay after Auto Zone gave me my money back and it was the exact same kind and only last a year or so.I still have the Nissan blower motor if anyone wants it.The heater box has the new heater core in itIt would not fit in the box good and caused problems when you adjusted the switches,The oem one's have the plastic elbows.Look at the date on the bottom pic.2014.If you look at the bottom pic you can see that rod is real close to the core pipe and it rubs on it when you turn the switch.And at times it does not work.Junk after market heater cores.

aDQVtoA.jpg

100_7579.jpg

100_7571.jpg

100_7556.jpg

100_7560.jpg

048 (1).JPG

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic info and thank you guys so much. Looks like I have a slightly different setup in my 82, from what I've read at least the blue and control module are different(my fan has 3 speeds, but the last one isn't working, not sure why). Got the rad drained, hoses disconnected, doing this all while replacing the water pump since everything's already drained. I'm going to go in there tomorrow after some of the snow out here clears up. I'll take some pictures while I do it for future 79-83'ers with the same question.

Been kind of a wild ride because I had a bolt snap while pulling my old water pump. For future reference, should I spray some sort of penetrant onto bolts I pull or prepare them in some way? Seems bolts love to snap on this old girl. I can learn to replace parts all day long on you tube, but those little rule of thumb things your dad is supposed to teach you usually aren't included. My dang dad always called a mechanic 😞

Thanks again! I would be pretty freaking lost without y'all.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, got everything taken apart and ready to pull the heater... except that one bolt in the back.

Looks like it rests right behind the center ventilator duct T splitter thing.

At this point do I need to pull the dash? Not sure how I'll get to that screw unless I just loosen the dash and shimmy it up?

Anyway, here's pictures of my total progress: 

https://imgur.com/a/Y7V8QfL

Part 2:

https://imgur.com/a/yQTQwN7

And attached to this post is the diagram with the screw I can't get to(yet).

Thanks again, guys!

20221213_133143.jpg

Edited by ProJect
Added the complete removal pictures, thanks guys!

Alright, well I put on my big boy pants and unbolted the dash enough to lift it and got an articulating wrench in there. The dash was less of a PITA than I had imagined, but getting a wrench in was not easy. I updated my Imgur folder to site the complete removal for future users.

With that done, I got it loose and out!

Quick question:

What kind of foam do I need to replace the weather stripping? Is it necessary to re-foam that whole flapper?

Thanks again!!!

pixlr_20221213150511802_20221213150714170.jpg

Edited by ProJect