SSS?

ByStickel

(X-posted in Roadsters)

I picked these up, not knowing exactly what they are. I thought Roadster, but now am thinking 411. Does anyone know what they're from? They came with the long vertical return tubes and a front-mounted coolant shut-off valve, btw.

P1070446small.JPG

P1070447small.JPG

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks very much like the Roadster R16 intake flanges.

The R16 with SUs was also used optionally on the SSS 411 rather than the J13. AFIK the intake was lightly modified from the Roadster one so it would fit the SUs in the 411 engine bay. 

P1070447small.JPG

The twin pair of runners between the flanges and the common plenum appear much shorter than the pictures I have of one from a Roadster. They come out of the plenum in a single tube that splits into two unlike this one that comes out in pairs. I'm only guessing but i would say this one is from a 411 SSS. Either way other than the intake they are the same Roadster/411SSS

Only '67 model year 411 SSSs were imported and although they could be ordered with the Roadster 71A 4 speed, primarily they were 3 speed automatics. ]2eDeYe has one I believe. Maybe he can take a picture of his intake.

• Like 2

Mike, you're amazing. Yeah, the intake angles the carbs up, just like the SSS, but the only pics I could find of the SSS set-up showed a slightly different set of tabs on the long, rotating link rod.

Oh, and the airbox is light blue.

Around 1996, I found a complete 411SSS in a SoCal pick-your-part. At the time, I thought 'yuck'. Now would be different.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, ByStickel said:

(X-posted in Roadsters)

I picked these up, not knowing exactly what they are. I thought Roadster, but now am thinking 411. Does anyone know what they're from? They came with the long vertical return tubes and a front-mounted coolant shut-off valve, btw.

P1070446small.JPG

P1070447small.JPG

RL411 manual transmission version, It has no cam to activate the Borg Warner shift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/2/2022 at 1:53 PM, ByStickel said:

Mike, you're amazing. Yeah, the intake angles the carbs up, just like the SSS, but the only pics I could find of the SSS set-up showed a slightly different set of tabs on the long, rotating link rod.

Oh, and the airbox is light blue.

Around 1996, I found a complete 411SSS in a SoCal pick-your-part. At the time, I thought 'yuck'. Now would be different.

A junk yard in San Pedro CA had 6 RL411 and one WRL 411 in that time period, All had automatic transmissions  They also had a Fairlady sport car with aftermarket fiberglass top,