Reline019

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A goodness fo sho.

Is that a Volvo motor in the background?

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a solid A+ when it's done.😋

The motor in the background is a Ford pinto engine being setup to run on 50mm M5 throttle bodies, its a project that my engine builder is working on for another client of his. 

You can check his work out on his Facebook page: Performance Pinto.

The guys name is Nico. Really knows his stuff.

• Like 1

Super cool.

I've never been a turbo guy, except for turbo diesel trucks, and I see so many custom turbo manifolds being built for tuner cars. I've always had one question - do turbo headers ever crack under the weight of the turbo? I never see any brackets supporting the turbo. It always seems to be hanging off the header, far away from the cylinder head. Seems like a lot of leverage there.

I do know that headers get hot enough to flex and change shape. Just watch a dyno session sometime and you'll see plenty of glowing orange. Does the weight of the turbo cause the headers to bend?

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Super cool.

I've never been a turbo guy, except for turbo diesel trucks, and I see so many custom turbo manifolds being built for tuner cars. I've always had one question - do turbo headers ever crack under the weight of the turbo? I never see any brackets supporting the turbo. It always seems to be hanging off the header, far away from the cylinder head. Seems like a lot of leverage there.

I do know that headers get hot enough to flex and change shape. Just watch a dyno session sometime and you'll see plenty of glowing orange. Does the weight of the turbo cause the headers to bend?

@Stoffregen Motorsports Yes, thats an excellent question and very good point to raise, I have never personally seen it myself but the logic is sound in what you are asking.

I have disccused this with Nico and he has also suggested to me, that we should consider bracing the turbo to better the support it. 

I have attached two pics, which would be the better option of the twoimages-2-28.jpgimages-2-29.jpg

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Far and away the bottom picture is best.

@datzenmike Thank you, I am also leaning towards the bottom setup, I think It's a more practical solution in the long term and for me personally also the best looking as well.

It would be interesting to hear from other members who have done this and what their view would be on this.

I have also heard that one shouldn't over brace it either as this could actually cause cracking of the manifold prematurely as well, any truth in that??

• Like 1

For most people you will be fine without bracing provided your manifold is properly welded.

Manifolds for street cars you will be fine probably forever as long as you dont 2 step like those social media people where stuff is glowing red for hours.

For track cars I have had people who have needed new manifolds every year it didnt matter how it was braced.  Those heim joint braces are great but get ones without liners because the lined heims melt out and get loose/rattle faster.

Keeping EGT in check will make your manifold last longer.

• Like 2

Oh, if your trying to run low boost on that manifold you may have an issue with that wastegate tie in.  Its done now, but if your having issue with boost creep thats where I would start.

Edit: what happened to the manifold from the 1st page?  the one on the second page (on the motor) looks like a replica thats been rewelded?  the one on the first page looks as if it is made of 1/16 wall tube and the welds werent purged.  Im not sure that the manifold will last very long.

@shlammed thanks, your insight is appreciated. Yeah, my pickup will mostly only be driven over weekends every now and again, I have no intentions of trying to daily it. 

It's more of a father and son bonding exercise for the two of us. 😋😋. To tinker with and make some awesome memories.

I also think the ethanol mix we will be using will help keep the EGT in check. What's your thoughts on this??

21 minutes ago, shlammed said:

Oh, if your trying to run low boost on that manifold you may have an issue with that wastegate tie in.  Its done now, but if your having issue with boost creep thats where I would start.

Edit: what happened to the manifold from the 1st page?  the one on the second page (on the motor) looks like a replica thats been rewelded?  the one on the first page looks as if it is made of 1/16 wall tube and the welds werent purged.  Im not sure that the manifold will last very long.

We are planning on running about 1.6bar/23.52 psi of boost. So hopefully it won't be an issue but I will definitely keep that in mind.

The manifold from the first page is the pic that the guy who built the manifold sent me while he was busy, I didn't even notice that it was a different manifold until you pointed it out to me. Maybe he had to re do it. I also see that the angle of waste gate tube is not the same between the two manifolds.

But the one he gave me certainly looks like it was put together well. But I guess only time will tell.

I think at that point it comes down to material selection and construction.

My manifolds had been schedule 10 stainless (0.108" thick wall pipe) and they were not immune to vibration and heat.  Some people even build with schedule 40 which I believe is around 0.144" thick.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Reline019 said:

I have also heard that one shouldn't over brace it either as this could actually cause cracking of the manifold prematurely as well, any truth in that??

Yes, that's what I was thinking. The brace in the bottom pic looks like it would allow the system to flex, without letting it sag. I think that would work.

Also, consider the hardware holding the system to the cylinder head. Bolts won't cut it there. You will definitely need studs. I might even consider having a copper gasket made. Maybe I'm overthinking it with the gasket...

• Like 1