A14 Turbo engine.

Reline019

Hi Guys.

As the headline suggest, I am currently building A14S Turbo engine for my Nissan Champ pickup truck. I hail from South Africa and would love to share my build specs with everyone.

Spec as follows.

Engine: A14S - Motor completely overhauled.

1. Bored 1mm over and fitted with 77mm Nissan langley turbo pistons. Effective capacity now - 1434cc up from 1397cc

2. Standard Rods, mains and big ends.

3. Re-profiled Camshaft (276 Deg Int / 282 Deg Exh)

4. Head - H75 casting - slight port and polish, but nothing over the top. Uprated Valve springs from a opel corsa. Aiming to Rev between 7000rpm/7500rpm. Uprated head bolts.

5. Custom Stainless steel top mount turbo manifold. GT28 Turbo or similar unit with a short side exit exhaust or maybe even a hood exit, still deciding. Will be Intercooled 

I will be boosting about 1.6bar to start with and see where things go from there.

6. Custom Aluminium intake manifold with 70mm throttle body.

7. 4 x 700cc Bocsh Injectors (Going to be running a 50/50 ethanol mix) with all the necessary pumps and associated accessories.

8. Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator.

9. Dicktator fuel management system.

10. 5 Speed transmission

11. Button clutch. 

12. Larger custom Radiator to accommodate higher Temps.

13. And whatever else I add to the mix as thing progress.

Thanks, you guys are free to comment or ask questions.

Thanks

Will

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a blow through with alcohol injection to reduce detonation???

Not too sure about the cam. It seems to be more of a NA application than turbo.

Definitely get an oil cooler for the little A. It will pull heat out of, and cool areas that the engine coolant never goes. Specially the turbo which is mostly cooled by the oil. Run synthetic oils that can handle the extra heat.

Make a crankshaft scraper and windage tray for it. The crankshaft will be flinging oil from all the bearings and it will have to cut through this rain. This will reduce the oil fog swirling around the crankshaft and re-claim hp used to push this oil rain out of the way. It also returns the oil to the pan faster.

A 2" exhaust or 2 1/4" with low restriction turbo style muffler.

• Thanks 1

Hi Datzenmike.

No, this is going to be a fully Efi system, I ditched the carb setup all together.

Going to give the cam a try, especially because I am going to be reving past 7k, so would be interesting to see how it works out. If it doesn't yield decent results I will revert back to a stock cam.

Yes, I will definitely look into an oil cooler, I actually still have one from a previous build I did in the past. So will figure out how I am going to in corporate it into my build.

For now as soon as I get it running, I will be running mineral break in oils for initial startup and roughly the first 80/100km, then drain and fill again with mineral oils for the following 500/800km of break in and then switchbl to synthetic as you have suggested.

I will also investigate the the oil scrapper and windage tray as we progress.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

21 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Is this a blow through with alcohol injection to reduce detonation???

Not too sure about the cam. It seems to be more of a NA application than turbo.

Definitely get an oil cooler for the little A. It will pull heat out of, and cool areas that the engine coolant never goes. Specially the turbo which is mostly cooled by the oil. Run synthetic oils that can handle the extra heat.

Make a crankshaft scraper and windage tray for it. The crankshaft will be flinging oil from all the bearings and it will have to cut through this rain. This will reduce the oil fog swirling around the crankshaft and re-claim hp used to push this oil rain out of the way. It also returns the oil to the pan faster.

A 2" exhaust or 2 1/4" with low restriction turbo style muffler.

4 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I'd love to see detailed pics of this project. A turbo'd A series could be lots of fun.

Hi Stoffregen.

I have some nice pics, which I am lead to believe correctly. I will be able to post in a few more post.

Keep watching 👀 

• Like 1

Wait a 1200 UTE?!!!??!  I love mine.  I've always thought about setting up a AMR500 super charger.  They seem so small and simple.  Then I think with the time that would take I would be better off getting my FJ in it.  I'll just kick back and watch the build. 

• Like 1