stuck in gear-60 series 5 speed

Arthur

I have a 1980 60 series 5 speed stuck in gear. Standard pattern. Sat for a few years, still shifted ok, installed on engine, dropped in car, and it's stuck in gear and won't come out.

Pulled eng and trans off and it still won't come out of gear. 

Turning input shaft with drill and output turns. Will not come out of gear when spinning input or in between spins.

Detent screws for shift fork shafts are flush. I have not pulled them to see if that helps.

No disassembly of trans took place between connecting to eng and installing.

Haven't tried a big hammer.

Any ideas what may be going on and how to get into neutral without breaking the case?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can get stuck in between gears, where the shift striker gets lost in between the various shift rods.

More likely that it over shifted and the shift collar went past the detents on the gear hub. If this happened, the only way to get it out of gear is to split the cases and lever it out of gear with a screwdriver. Careful not to damage or loose the denent pawls.

Did it get stuck in one of the rearward gears? I mean, where the shift stick is being pulled back? Over shifting can be eliminated by welding onto the tip of the shift rail or inside the front cover to tighten up the distance between the shift rod and the stops on the cover, making it impossible to overshift ever again.

It's not clear to me if the two shift rods go through the front case and are behind the cover plate which is 3 bolt and very small, just enough to cover the seal.

Transmissions & Drivetrains for Datsun 310 for sale | eBay

What gear? Can you tell by shifter position? Not sure?

If you were to turn the input shaft 10 turns and counted the output shaft turns it would be one of the following/...

2.84.......... first

4.6............ second

7.25.......... third

10............. forth (one to one)

12.18........ fifth (over drive)

I'll find out more tomorrow. It's a friends trans and I'm checking it out in the morning. What you have said makes sense.

Shifting it with no lube and it was probably stiff and he pushed hard and oops!

So that would be the front of the case or rail that would be beefed to prevent over travel?

Yeah the cover plate isn't wide enough.

With cover plate off there is an 'O' ring, a select fit washer to pre load the main bearing in the case and one or two C clips that lock the front case to the bearing. Then the case just pulls forward and off exposing everything else. 

H66XjWJ.jpg

ZYpjZet.jpg

Sometimes the shift insert (shift dog?) gets out of place and you can't pull out of gear. It is mounted in the synchronizer hub on that spring and just rocks back and forth.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

H66XjWJ.jpg

ZYpjZet.jpg

Sometimes the shift insert (shift dog?) gets out of place and you can't pull out of gear. It is mounted in the synchronizer hub on that spring and just rocks back and forth.

Is this an A series or L series? I believe the L series 63 trans used the 5 bolt front cover.

Those are the detent pawls I was referring to Mike. If the collar over shifts, the pawls can jam it, not allowing it to return to it's position over the hub.

Though I don't remember if the 60 series trans uses the coil springs or the large circular spring. Either way, the result could be the same.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1