Brake booster obsolete?

dat620_77

Hello, I'm slowly rebuilding a 77 620 that has been sitting for almost 20 years. I'm starting with the brakes, and when testing the booster at the booster it won't hold vacuum. I need a new one. Last time I got one for a 73 I used to have, I got from rock auto no prob, now they don't exist. Does anyone know what is compatible? Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very small diameter to clear the clutch master beside it and the steering column below it. The 620 bolts to a spacer and the spacer bolts to the firewall.

The 610, 710 and the S10 200sx all use the same small booster but not an exact match to the 620. Looks like the mounting bolts are longer and go through the thinner spacer to the inside of the cab. You may be able to swap the shorter 620 studs or shorten them but perhaps the push rod that connects to the brake pedal won't reach.  I guess compare the overall length of the push rods and if it needs lengthening, cut and weld the 620 one onto the new one. I think this can be done with a little work. 

Thank you Datzenmike!! You helped me a while ago with my 73 distributor switching from points to pertonix. I was hoping you would answer. However not the answer I wanted. I did see on ebay there is an adjustable pushrod.  I think wilwood makes it. Does anyone know of rebuilders?

23 hours ago, dat620_77 said:

Hello, I'm slowly rebuilding a 77 620 that has been sitting for almost 20 years. I'm starting with the brakes, and when testing the booster at the booster it won't hold vacuum. I need a new one. Last time I got one for a 73 I used to have, I got from rock auto no prob, now they don't exist. Does anyone know what is compatible? Thanks

You can have yours rebuilt. Power Brake Sales in Sacramento is who I send my boosters to for rebuild.

https://powerbrakes.com/

• Like 1
21 hours ago, dat620_77 said:

Thanks for all the help. As luck would have it there is an obscure little parts house in my town that says they can get one from their store in Tulsa. It'll be here Wednesday.🤞$130. Excanged

Beware that some booster suppliers use units that are close, but not exact. I've bought boosters that had holes welded up and new studs welded in for the application I needed, but they looked like crap. So don't surrender your booster until you see the new one. This is why I like having mine rebuilt. They rebuild the one I supplied to them.

• Like 1