79 620 was won’t start

620 starts up when cold. Won’t pick up speed quickly. After driving for about 15 minutes. Cut it off and it doesn’t want to start back up. Replaced the starter because thought it was bad. After replacing starter with new on still does the same thing. Cranks fine when cold but not when it’s hot?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the engine turn more slowly with the starter when hot????

If yes then then try with jumper cables or borrow another battery. If it starts every time probably the battery.

I had this with my 620. The engine started so well it always started on about two turns. Over the years the battery got very old and eventually all that was in it was about two turns, but that was enough. Eventually it wouldn't restart if it was warm, like half a turn, that was it. If you let it sit for a couple of hours it would start. It was the battery.

Thanks Datzenmike for your response. I am off work today so I will be wrenching on this with my buddy. Is getting harder and harder to keep these old school babies going, but it’s worth it. Not interested in electric powered vehicles. I’m old school and like old school stuff!!

On 11/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, nissan720 said:

Won’t pick up speed quickly.

?????????? what you mean. Is this all the time now

be more specific.

I do basics forst. ck tighten of intake carb bolts

Battery connections.Cracked battery post is a common thng where it splits(try jumper as mike says. But it starts when cold I say connections are good as it will draw more current when COLD.

does starter always CRANK just dont start or starter doesn turn over???????  if starter dont turn over when hot then try a wire from positive battery to the selinoid and see it cranks then. then I think yuou need to add a hot start wire as your not getitng enought powwer to engage the selinoid.

• 1 month later...

Air, fuel and spark or compression for a Diesel. All are necessary for an engine to run. Starting fluid is an easy way to test for bad spark ( ignition ) and some fuel issues. When it stops running, spray some starting fluid in the air cleaner and see if it starts up and runs. If it doesn't, you have an ignition problem. If it does run for a moment, then dies, you have a fuel problem. Always start with the basics. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

air, fuel, and spark or, in the case of a diesel, compression. Each is required for an engine to function. Testing for faulty spark (ignition) and some fuel issues with starting fluid is simple. Spray some starting fluid into the air cleaner after it stops running to see if it will restart and continue to run. If it doesn't, your ignition isn't working properly. You have a fuel issue if it does run for a brief period of time before dying. Always begin with the fundamentals. 

basketball stars

• 6 months later...

Your intake manifold has warped on you or the intake bolt are lose.  I had this problem on my jeep and had to get a new intake. And had some what of this problem with my 620 but it would lose power when it warmed up to operating temp. I had to use two intake gaskets just to take up the gap.