Bicycles of our childhood

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Chopper Jim said:

You need to try reversing the spring. Pull the bolt, reverse the spring to the outside, bolt back together.

Dumb question, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the springer fork? Seems like the spring would no longer function?

Also, the angle of the bolt is going to be all wrong if we do that. It doesn't even line up exactly straight now...

• Like 1
On 12/1/2022 at 8:12 AM, datsunfreak said:

Geez!  What an awkward looking old man! 

I hate to admit it, but the ape-hangers really do make it a bit difficult to ride.  I think it will be less "twitchy" and more stable with some more speed though.  Now I just need to grow a pair and get up some more speed!

And speaking of speed, I am considering an electric front hub conversion.

Well, I was hoping for at least one "OMG!  Is the bike ok?" post.

I'm not in the hospital.  That picture was from last year.  I'm fine.  I did not crash the bike.  

Edited by dimlight65

My license plate finally arrived from Chi-na...

IMG_20221203_095846940.thumb.jpg.1702f95b2c2b3ff2ed8e1a9172d0724d.jpg

And I bought a replica Stahlhelm, because... chopper!  Then I painted it purple, because... Sting-Krate!

IMG_20221203_122624951.thumb.jpg.94cf1ec39fcd1014b2e4d62d4d3afa71.jpg

I took it for a ride today while John was working on his car.  I went maybe a quarter mile down the road.  On the "flat" road, I was thinking it needed a little more gear because I was pedaling pretty madly to cruise along.  Then I turned to go back to the shop and discovered the "flat" road was, in fact, downhill.  Going back up the hill the gearing was just fine.  I also discovered that, believe it or not, I'm pretty out of shape!  I had jelly legs for a few minutes afterwards!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is reminiscent of the daytime drama General Hospital with all the intrigue, plot twists, and faked abjures. Tune in next week viewers for As The Pebble Turns, Kinda Slowly: an abbreviated episode for health reasons. 

An electric front hub is an ugly mess IMO. Keep at it and you'll become your own electric hub. They make a 3 speed rear hub with kick brakes BTW. I had one on a beach cruiser and it was THE BOMB. https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/sturmey-archer-rx-rd3-3sp-drum-brake-rear-hub/

You could also add the shifter so you can be just like Steve McQueen. https://www.pedalchopper.com/performance-aftermarket-machined-cnc-billet-aluminum-parts/3sp-5sp-stingray-shifter-mount/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, paradime said:

This thread is reminiscent of the daytime drama General Hospital with all the intrigue, plot twists, and faked abjures. Tune in next week viewers for As The Pebble Turns, Kinda Slowly: an abbreviated episode for health reasons. 

An electric front hub is an ugly mess IMO. Keep at it and you'll become your own electric hub. They make a 3 speed rear hub with kick brakes BTW. I had one on a beach cruiser and it was THE BOMB. https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/sturmey-archer-rx-rd3-3sp-drum-brake-rear-hub/

You could also add the shifter so you can be just like Steve McQueen. https://www.pedalchopper.com/performance-aftermarket-machined-cnc-billet-aluminum-parts/3sp-5sp-stingray-shifter-mount/

Responses:

Paragraph 1: Aw, go grease Wheezer!

Paragraph 2a: Yes, I have decided against the electric conversion for two reasons.  1) it ruins the whole gestalt of the Sting-Krate replica, and B) it negates the "I bought a bike to get some exercise" excuse.

Paragraph 2b: This intrigues me very much.  I will look into it.  (However, relacing a wheel sounds like the kind of ass-whip I'd just love to take on 🙄)

Paragraph 3: I actually bought a "suicide shifter" off e-Bay when I started the project, but before finding the donor bike.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, paradime said:

They make a 3 speed rear hub with kick brakes BTW.

Ok, I just watched a video on how to relace the spokes on a bicycle.  Yeah, the single speed sounds good to my lazy ass right about now!

2 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Ok, I just watched a video on how to relace the spokes on a bicycle.  Yeah, the single speed sounds good to my lazy ass right about now!

Lacing spokes is not as hard as it looks. It straightening the rim that's kinda tricky. The company that sells the 3 spd hub can lace you up a 24, or 26" rim, but I'd imagine it ante cheep.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

6 hours ago, paradime said:

Lacing spokes is not as hard as it looks. It straightening the rim that's kinda tricky. The company that sells the 3 spd hub can lace you up a 24, or 26" rim, but I'd imagine it ante cheep.  

Buying them premade isn't too expensive...

https://xdsbikeco.com/products/26-firmstrong-3-speed-rim-set-front-rear-tire-tube-fork-fender-are-not-included?variant=16524992610376

https://www.huskybicycles.com/bicycle-rear-wheel-26x20-alloy-3-spd-nexus-12g-spokes.html

Just search around for 3 speed wheels in a 26" size. 

Edited by datsunfreak
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Dang youse!  This set is on the way as we... type. 

6 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Dang youse!  This set is on the way as we... type. 

Wise choice, it's a very cool bit of kit. Not only is it (in terms vernacular of the era) bitchin looking, I'm sure it'll make riding the Purple People Calorie Eater much more enjoyable. 

And in a few months you'll be all like 🚴‍♀️ and stuff.

Edited by paradime
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, dimlight65 said:

Aww, it's no longer bitcoin looking?

Since recorrected to "bitchen looking". Z gen's auto correct ante from my barrio or my era, so it can put olestra in it's douche bag and blow this taco stand. 

• Haha 2

What gives with posting picts of the purple calorie eater with the shifter and 5 Spd derailer in Dijiban thread and not here? Waiting for the 3 Spd hub wheel to arrive maybe? I won't give you shit for the TB spacer BTW. Cuz I once put one of those Super Turbo Spiral Intake hoses on my work truck. Not proud of that.

Edited by paradime
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, paradime said:

What gives with posting picts of the purple calorie eater with the shifter and 5 Spd derailed in Dijiban and not here? Waiting for the 3 Spd hub wheel to arrive? I won't give you shit for the TB spacer, cuz I once put one of those SuperTurbo Spiral intake hoses on my work truck. Not proud of that.

I'm pretty sure that was someone else's bike in the Dajiban thread... well, not the one on the bike rack of course.

Yes, the three-speed wheel set should be here tomorrow.  I'll get that installed as soon as possible.

• Like 1