85 cali 6 pin connector carb

85"720

I'm having trouble  with my truck. Truck is running pretty bad.   First problem  i found was The wires  at the connector for my carburetor was messed up and causing an intermediate connection. I cut the connector  off and rewired  each wire to the other side. The thing that I noticed was that 2 wires are the same color, red/yellow  and on the opposite side  of  them are 2 white wires. I think I have these wired correctly but I'm not 100% sure. Do these wires make any difference being crossed with the wrong white wire?? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, 85"720 said:

I'm having trouble  with my truck. Truck is running pretty bad.   First problem  i found was The wires  at the connector for my carburetor was messed up and causing an intermediate connection. I cut the connector  off and rewired  each wire to the other side. The thing that I noticed was that 2 wires are the same color, red/yellow  and on the opposite side  of  them are 2 white wires. I think I have these wired correctly but I'm not 100% sure. Do these wires make any difference being crossed with the wrong white wire?? 

16677808739173524274918928401109.jpg

• Like 1

Xpx5kbG.jpg

Looks like the RY (red/yellow) go to one white and the other is the R (red) anti dieseling solenoid.

Listen near the carburetor while someone turns the ignition between off and on several times. (not start) What you should hear id the anti dieseling solenoid is wired correctly is a soft clicking sound. If you do... it's wired correctly.

BTW the 720 6 wire plug IS problematic for intermittent contact. The harness should have been longer to take the strain off the wires.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Xpx5kbG.jpg

Looks like the RY (red/yellow) go to one white and the other is the R (red) anti dieseling solenoid.

Listen near the carburetor while someone turns the ignition between off and on several times. (not start) What you should hear id the anti dieseling solenoid is wired correctly is a soft clicking sound. If you do... it's wired correctly.

BTW the 720 6 wire plug IS problematic for intermittent contact. The harness should have been longer to take the strain off the wires.

Im pretty  sure I have it wired correctly. Yes I do hear the clicking sound when the key is on run/engine off.

Yeah I've heard alot about  the harness wires being too short causing problems.  I have it back together  now and it still runs pretty bad.

• Like 1

Because a solenoid is used to adjust the primary jet any sensor failure could cause an extreme lean condition that could harm the engine so the ECU sets it on an over rich default 'limp home' mode. Mileage and performance will be terrible.

Another often overlooked cause of poor running is the exhaust side coil not firing. It's not the coil. Check for spark on both intake and exhaust sides.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Because a solenoid is used to adjust the primary jet any sensor failure could cause an extreme lean condition that could harm the engine so the ECU sets it on an over rich default 'limp home' mode. Mileage and performance will be terrible.

Another often overlooked cause of poor running is the exhaust side coil not firing. It's not the coil. Check for spark on both intake and exhaust sides.

Yeah  its definitely running rich. Sometimes  it would backfire when trying to accelerate. Checked for vacuum leaks already  and didn't find any. I need to confirm if exhaust coil is working. I pulled the first fuse on the left and it killed the motor. Without the fuse the car runs worse and with it is acts a lil bit better.

• Like 1

Just a little update. I checked to see if exhaust side is firing and it is except for #3 plug wire.  Swapped Plug wire around and confirmed its dead. Didn't have time to change it out yet  but do you think it will make it  run really bad with that one wire dead??  Truck sat for like a week and  noticed that it  didn't  fast idle when I started it today. It just ran like it has been started  already? 

The other plug would have fired that cylinder but because only one plug that cylinder would have acted like the timing was retarded. It would not make a significant difference.

A dead plug wire is indicative that all the other wires may be in need of replacing as well as the rotor and distributor cap. Do NOT replace the coils, they never go bad, and the replacements will be of inferior quality. You would as likely as not be putting a bad coil in. Pull and look at the plugs, they are usually replaced by visually checking them for wear. ONLY NGK plugs, BPR6ES  for the intake side and BPR5ES for the intake. Do NOT but them from Amazon.... too many counterfeit parts there.

50 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The other plug would have fired that cylinder but because only one plug that cylinder would have acted like the timing was retarded. It would not make a significant difference.

A dead plug wire is indicative that all the other wires may be in need of replacing as well as the rotor and distributor cap. Do NOT replace the coils, they never go bad, and the replacements will be of inferior quality. You would as likely as not be putting a bad coil in. Pull and look at the plugs, they are usually replaced by visually checking them for wear. ONLY NGK plugs, BPR6ES  for the intake side and BPR5ES for the intake. Do NOT but them from Amazon.... too many counterfeit parts there.

Yeah I bought all new wires ngk spark plugs, the cap and rotor. I'll be putting  these on sometime this week.