Emissions and engine bay cleanup

Jeffthe620

To start i have a L20B with a 32/36 Weber on it installed by the previous owner. The shop that did the EGR delete did a meh job on it, and left a lot of vacuum leaks, random tubes, and parts. Does anyone have tips for what else i should pull out to get rid of the clutter and generally clean my engine bay? 

Thanks! 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First lets lower expectations. Removal of emissions will do nothing for power or anything else.

That said you can remove the air pump, bracket and pipes. Remove the pipes that extend down into the exhaust ports and either weld up the holes or plug them...

xVkEyEu.jpg

You can remove the EGR and block it off, (but doesn't help the looks much) or remove the EGR manifold that bolts to the intake and fashion a block off plate BUT!!! make sure you keep the PCV valve functional or don't even bother. 

The T V V in the thermostat housing is there to allow EGR only if the engine is warmed up. Without the EGR it's not needed so plug the hole...

sQDalt5.jpg

You could remove the anti backfire valve but it's really there to prevent excessive intake vacuum on sudden deceleration and reduces oil being drawn up past the oil rings and burned. It's benign in operation saves oil reduces blue cloud.

Keep the charcoal canister by the radiator. 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

question about this anti-backfire valve: Is it something that goes bad? Last week, my truck did some pretty gnarly backfires as the Hitachi carb imploded. I got a Weber to replace it, but the hose from the valve is in the way. So I wonder, is the valve even working still? Can I get new replacements (I don't see it on Rockauto at least)? If not, can I use one from something else that IS readily available?

And if I can get another and it really should be there, maybe I can get a banjo fitting so I can clock that hose where I need it instead of being at the mercy of where the original fitting bottomed out.